Black Star Sanctuary
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Makara IC

4 posters

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Makara IC  - Page 12 Empty Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:49 pm

Parveth has also been quietly listening. She opens her mouth to speak, thinks for a moment longer, then posits, “So we would need to offer in exchange something sufficiently impressive for their status positioning?”
“However we get it from them, we’ll probably be asked where we got it from back in that ‘Silent Room,’ so we should...figure out a good cover which is technically true? Also, don’t we also need to find both city emblems?”
quietkal
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:55 pm

Zarenthria replies to Parveth first, "Yes. Though even I don't know exactly what they would want. You would probably need to ask them and do some bargaining or try and find out some other way."

To Steam she says, "No I don't think she's going to question you over it. If she makes that request it would be easy for me to argue there's no reason to do so. And no, you don't need to acquire the other one. That's their job and I'm sure they already know exactly where it is."
Ramsus
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:05 pm

Parveth falters a little, not a fan of her train of thought. “Would they view bringing a wood elf into the faithful of the Spider Queen, Lolth, as societally impressive? One that had previously declined an offer by Malnibonae’s Grand Temple?”
quietkal
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:26 pm

Zarenthria raises an eyebrow in confusion for a moment and then lets out a laugh. "I think they would as it happens, as the eldest daughter is a priestess. I'm sure that's hardly all they would ask for, but that would certainly be a good bargaining chip." She pauses for a moment and then says, "The issue there is that you would still have to mean it."
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:39 am

Parveth nods grimly. “I am aware. I would like a bit of time to commune when we arrive in Lo’Toth. Until then I cannot promise myself as such, but I am unsure what else I could offer of value.”
quietkal
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:36 pm

"I don't suppose it'd be possible for us to gather more information first?" She taps her chin slightly in thought, tail flicking slightly.

"hmm... actually would it be possible to get a meeting with them outside of trying to bargain for the Liar's Key? You say the eldest daughter is a priestess? Perhaps we could arrange a meeting in their home in regards to our friend considering joining the faithful of Lolth and wanting a chance to talk it over with a priestess of good standing? A meeting where we might get a better idea of their disposition, interests, floor plan, and other useful things to help us decide how to go about things properly?" She says with a purposely innocent expression.
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 pm

"Unless there was a good reason, they wouldn't conduct a meeting for a religious matter at their home instead of the temple." Zarenthria answers.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:47 am

"What meetings would be conducted there then?"
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 pm

"Aside from social gatherings, deals of importance to the family I would suppose. Generally with members of the other great families, as smaller scale business would generally be conducted at the appropriate location for that business." Zarenthria replies.
There is a pause and then she asks clearly somewhat skeptically, "Do you surfacers all conduct your business in your residences rather than at stores and the like?"
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:39 pm

"Depends on the business," answers Ketha. "The Maeduis'. You've spoke of military service and priestess, what else are they known for?"
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:51 pm

Zarenthria looks like she's not entirely sure how to answer this question, but says, "Well they are, of course, one of the Council families and have been for a very long time. Though not quite all the way back to the beginnings of our city. They gained their position through their military accomplishments mainly. So those two things are what they are most known for. Otherwise they're not dissimilar to the other council families. They have power, influence, and wealth. I suppose where you could say some of the others are more focused on particular financial interests, they're among those that are more diverse. They tend to own smaller parts of things like the docks or the quarry than larger amounts or entire places. Though they do have various businesses and properties they rent, which could be said for all of the council families currently on the council or not. I suppose the biggest thing they own is that they own half of the Mushwoods. Politically they're very military focused. And they're not in favor of our society moving to the surface. Although I believe that's a more practical ans self-centered concern than one about what others should do. Which is why they aren't going to give us the key for free if they can help it."
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:14 am

“Well sure, if they’re gonna give up a big hold like most of the Mushwood, it makes sense why they’d be opposed to going to the surface.” Steam thinks for a moment, before addressing the others in the party.
”Abandoning the Mushwood entirely is an impact we haven’t really talked about. We could look into if some of the stuff can grow in the tunnels? Or work something out with the Queen? I feel like she’d be interested in cultivating additional mushroom related resources.”
She looks back to Zarenthria. ”Are we on some kind of time crunch here? Like yeah, I know we need to get things clicking, but we came and talked with the people who were maybe going to war you, and they shouldn’t? I’m not suggesting we drag our heels, but like if we can do a surface run we could also give you a lot better estimates and maybe scrabble up some things we could actually use for bartering.”
quietkal
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:59 am

At this, Zarenthria looks like Steam just gave her a headache and replies, "I think you may not understand? All of the council families have claims to things like the Mushwoods they will have to abandon. None of them are happy about the idea of having to, some are just more accepting of it than others. Working out logistics with the people of the surface is something we're going to have to do anyway, so that's not something I'm going to ask you to go through the effort to try and do when we'd just have to do it with other people in more detail anyway. And no we're not working on specific time-line, though we would all appreciate this being handled quickly."

There is a pause and then she says, "It would be preferable if you didn't return to the surface until the matter is settled... unless absolutely necessary."

Insight check DC 15:

Then another pause, "Wait. What Queen?"
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:51 pm

"What do you know about the Maeduis estate? Seeing as we'll be entering it one way or another."
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:13 am

"Well, I don't have a blue-print and I've only been in the main foyer and dining rooms. But from what I know, the mansion has three stories with the addition of a wine cellar. The first floor is for entertaining, kitchens, and that sort of thing. I believe the two floors above the first are bedrooms, studies, and such though I'd really have no idea what else might be there. On the grounds there is an area for jousting and other combative or training activities on one side and a garden on the other. Bordering the entryway there are rows of mushroom hedges. And surrounding the estate is a fence of razorgrass. As for personnel, I believe there are eight guards that patrol the exterior and ten servants of differing kinds." she replies.

Then she repeats, "What Queen?"
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:07 pm

Ketha glances at the drow. "There is a Queen," she answers bluntly. "Below the surface. We worked with her prior."
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:22 pm

"Below the surface, but above the Underdark I assume by the way you're saying that. So... there is a separate community of..... dwarves?" Zarenthria replies, clearly guessing and hoping to be told the specifics or if her guess is correct.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:27 pm

"Ants," corrects Ketha with a sigh. "A Queen of Ants."
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:32 pm

"You worked with... ants?" Zarenthria questions, clearly wanting a clearer explanation.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:38 am

"Does knowing how and why get us closer to the relic?"
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:13 pm

"No it doesn't, but you are bringing up information that might be important to our society as we move to the surface. So if you would please continue explaining?" Zarenthria says a little coolly, clearly a bit annoyed at Ketha's refusal to simply answer the question and the very blunt way she tried to redirect the conversation.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Fri May 03, 2019 5:46 pm

"it's a community of ant-humanoids and actual giant magical ants led by an ant-humanoid queen. The magic of Kelfas was involved. They were quite reasonable overall, and we did help the Queen defeat a rival...hive?... nest?... nest of giant ants so we're on reasonably good terms."
Dr Blight
Dr Blight

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri May 03, 2019 8:03 pm

"I would say that seems very strange, but I suppose you would feel the same way about Driders, Chitines, and Draegloth. Well, I hope they truly are reasonable beings. As spiders and ants typically do not get along particularly well." Zarenthria replies, clearly happy to get a clear answer but still with a frown at the potentially problematic news.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:53 am

As the conversation draws to a close, the group agrees they should attempt diplomacy. Parveth mentions she would like to visit a temple of Sehanine if one is available and doesn't wish to partake in the visit to the Maeduis estate unless she comes to a conclusion that will help the negotiations. Zarenthria replies that there are no temples to other deities here, but as it happens there is a small shrine to Sehanine, though it is on the far side of the city near the entrance to to wild areas of the Underdark. As they re-enter the city Zarenthria send a message to the Maeduis family requesting a meeting on your behalf and the group continues to the shrine of Sehanine. As you arrive Zarenthria gets a reply that the Maeduis' would be willing to have the intriguing outsiders over for dinner tonight.

The shrine of Sehanine is set in a large alcove-like space off of a non-major street. It's made of mushwood and there is a circular pool of water in the middle of it with white bio-luminescent moss above it also kept in a circular shape. Which gives an effect roughly like that of the moon reflecting off a lake. The group leaves Parveth and two of Zarenthria's guards there with her to safeguard/attend to her while she prays and contemplates.

The rest of the group makes its way back through most of the city again. Finally coming into a large cavern with a narrow ceiling on one end that slowly extends higher to the other before coming to an end where it turns and opens to another passageway. At the center of the highest point (not quite at the center of this cavern) two estates sit across from each other, separated by one of the widest streets you've seen down here so far. There are other buildings, as well though there is at least a bit of space between them and the large estates. All the buildings here go all the way up the the cavern roof, rather than having roofs themselves.

You stop in front of the estate that matches Zarenthria's earlier description of the Maeduis estate. There Zarenthria and her guards remain outside, as only your group was invited and it would defeat the purpose of giving the Maeduis' deniability if they were there for the arrangements.

Adelinde, Steam, and Ketha are lead into the main foyer by a butler and to a dining hall and told the Maeduis' will join them shortly. The home is easily the most lavish Steam or Ketha have ever been in. Adelinde would think her own family home is quite a bit more impressive but this is plenty nice, especially for the Underdark.
The three only have to wait a few minutes before four drow arrive and sit across from them. They introduce themselves in turn. The younger looking (you guess, elves right?) male drow is Belraen Maeduis. The second to introduce themselves is his older sister Solenniss Maeduis, a priestess of Lolth. Then their father Veszd Maeduis. And finally the matriarch of the family, Halxyra Maeduis. Veszd apologizes that the rest of the members of the family are busy attending to various matter and they didn't wish to overwhelm you anyhow. There are some pleasantries, asking after Miss Parveth and things like that as the food gets brought forth. It's all quite luxurious and strange. There's roasted eel and a whole octopus. A few things you can't even tell what are that they name for you and you quickly forget because you'd be hard pressed to pronounce them. There's of course mushroom bread and various vegetables. And the finest of mushroom wines.

About mid way through the meal Halxyra asks what it was you wanted to meet with them about.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Ketha sets down her half eaten bread and turns her head towards the matriarch. "We wish to retrieve the Liar's Key for Malnibonae."
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next