Makara IC

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 am

"Lead the way Lesser Councilor." Adelinde nods in agreement and follows the group into the city, patting Steam on the shoulder as they walk to help keep her calm.

As they enter the city she looks around as they walk at anything that catches her eye, walking a little closer to the stalls to see what kind of things are for sale in an underground city but making sure to keep near the party . Once they enter the building and the waiting room she speaks up. "Pardon Lesser Councilor, but I was hoping you could answer a few more questions while we wait? That temple when we entered, was the webbing on it intentional or just an effect of raising giant spiders? For that matter how old is this city? are these portraits here just artistic decorations or do they depict specific individuals?" She asks before taking one of the stuffed mushroom caps and nibbling her way through it politely so she can quickly speak without being rude if need be.

Stuff:
16+6=22 History on the goblins
4+3=7 Nature on the oxen
18+6=24 History just on things we've passed in general to see if I recognize anything like a portrait of a famous person or some distinct feature of the architecture that might hint to its' age or such.

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 364
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 pm

Adelinde Info:

Adelinde recognizes that Svirfneblin (deep gnomes) for what they are. They make tunnels down in the Underdark, they have some innate magics good for escaping the more dangerous creatures down in the deeps of the earth, they like gems (especially rubies), they get along well with creatures from the elemental plane of earth, and are otherwise essentially the prey for other things of the Underdark. She also knows that typically they do not get along with drow.
Male svirfneblin are bald, while females have stringy gray hair. Traditionally, females run the enclaves while males scour the outskirts in search of enemies and deposits of precious gemstones.
They're very good at blending into rocky terrain and their innate magics include the ability to blind or deafen others or disguise themselves.
Like the drow they can see very well in the dark, but unlike the drow they have no problems with bright light.

Adelinde can identify the animal as "something similar to a muskox, but smaller" but that's about it.

The architecture tells Adelinde that while all the buildings are in the ancient general style of being strong but delicate and artistic seeming stonework, there were certainly some structures that were older than the others. The watchtowers and the gate between the cities as well as the gate in the long tunnel were certainly quite old, though in very good repair. The buildings in the inner-city cave they entered are of various age, though she was barely able to tell in some cases as the style itself isn't something her books had a lot of examples of (in fact, one single example which was a copy of a pre-Kelfas age panting and analysis of it). She's mostly able to tell age more by incidental knowledge of stonework and construction knowledge than analysis of architecture style itself, as while there certainly are buildings (like the one she's in presently) that are of very similar style to what she knew of, there's plenty of variation on the general style at least that she isn't familiar with at all so she can't date based on that.
There are certainly portraits, in particular in the main hall of the building they're in, but you don't recognize any of them. Not very surprising since Adelinde never had access to any drow history books and as far as she knows, nobody even knew there were any drow under Kelfas or anywhere nearby.

"Of course." Zarethria replies with a small nod.

She looks a bit puzzled at your question, but quickly says, "You mean the Temple of Lolth in Malnibonae? I suppose you could say both. The spiders would certainly make their webs attached to such a tall structure on their own, but I believe they are encouraged to do so in particular places and patterns by the priestesses who tend to the temple's spiders. Though you would have to ask them to know for sure."

The stuffed mushroom caps are very good. Certainly the finest food Adelinde's eaten since she came to the mainland of Makara. In fact it rivals even the quality of food she was used to back home... or maybe even better depending on tastes.

"Lo'Toth was founded six hounded and eighty eight years ago." Zarethria replies, just as a pair of drow come in accompanied by the male servant from before. The servant places down another glass in front of one chair, but not the other, and pulls both chairs out for the pair to sit, looks to Zarethria who nods at him, and then leaves. The pair are a male, Parveth notes he's maybe around her age (nobody else can really tell because.... elves), and a female who looks a bit on the older side (there might be a bit of gray in her white hair and some wrinkles around her eyes). They are both wearing something like scholars robes and the male has pack. The female nods approvingly at Zarethria's answer as she takes her seat. After sitting, the male begins pulling things from his pack. Most notably a blank scroll, an ink well, and a pen. But also a few books he lays on the table between himself and the female.

As the male sets up, Zarethria answers Adelinde's last question, "The painting on that side of the room" she says pointing to a painting that depicts some ambiguous drow cresting a ridge to see a big cavern, "is an artist's impression of the discovering of the first main cave of Lo'Toth and the rangers who did so." She turns around to the painting behind her that depicts eight drow and says, "These would be the first members of the Council of Lo'Toth." She pauses before continuing, "The portraits you might have glimpsed in the main hallway are of the current members of the Council." Another pause and she looks at another painting in the room that depicts a large cavern filled with crystal, probably clear quartz and amethyst, and says, "That one depicts the largest crystal cave in Lo'Toth. It is quite the sight to behold even with the miners at work. If the council decides to let you roam where you please, you might wish to take the opportunity to visit it, though it would take you over an hour to get there on foot."

((Those are all the paintings you've glimpsed enough to get an impression at all of. Though there were probably some more scenery things in the main hall.))

She then looks to the female drow now that the male is done setting things up and the female drow nods. Zarethria then turns back to the group and says, "Now it is time for our questions. I shall start with asking what has happened on the surface in the last three centuries. Of course we don't need all the minor details. A broad view would be very helpful. More specific questions might come a little later." This last bit is said mostly looking at the female drow who gives a "you can bet on it" sort of nod.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Fri May 26, 2017 3:36 pm

Shops and such seen so far
A variety of foodstuffs such as a variety of mushrooms, wines, lizardmeat (there was one that you noted had skewers), and a butcher's shop.
A few dining establishments.
A florist.
What looked like probably a general goods store.
A smithery.
A silversmiths.
A jewelers (you saw some deep gnomes around there).
A stable (seemingly for giant lizards).
Two tailors shops (one for men's clothes, one for women's).
An apothecary.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Fri May 26, 2017 11:32 pm

"It was a balmy summer's eve...!"

Parveth muses briefly, casting a glance at the others in her group to gauge their feelings before speaking. "Three centuries...since the ruin of Kelfas then. What survivors managed to flee the orc-kind traveled far to the north, almost as far as the land would allow. The ruins have been occupied and ransacked by the orc-kind since. A elven general called The Boar was one of the survivors, and led his troops from the established elven citystate to reclaim the area a century ago..." She thinks for a moment, before quickly correcting herself, "120 years would be closer, I am not sure if the difference would matter to your records. The Boar's forces have driven what I understand as a large portion of the orc-kind from the ruins, but still some of that immense tide remains. Monsters of various kinds have also been spotted throughout the ruins. It is unclear whether the ruins are salvageable or permanently ill. I could go into more detail about what we have personally encountered, if that is something you would be interested in."
Parveth pauses, either to allow for the drow to ask questions or her allies to add their own part. She takes a small sip of water while she has a moment, expecting to do most of the recounting.
The elf internally debates whether she should have referred to The Boar using his title in Elvish, but ultimately decides that while potentially more accurate, it would be less respectful to him; the Elvish term having a more insulting tone to it.

Steam is content to just keep nibbling on the mushroom and quietly sipping wine and water. She gets the feeling this isn't the time to be cracking jokes and doing her usual spiel.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 749
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:03 pm

"Do you wish to know of the happenings of all the cities on the surface, or merely that of the city above us?"
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 836
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:06 pm

"All of them would be very helpful." Zarethria replies.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:57 pm

"After the fall, 4 large cities were settled, in addition to a number of smaller towns and villages. The dwarves found a mountain to their liking and established Kergan's Hold; the majority of the humans and a surprisingly large faction of dragonborn set new walls and created Asatol; the elves and gnomes found a lake they fancied and settled Lf'ern. A group of genasi" She looks to Steam to indicate, "Were discovered to already inhabit the area. The three groups have coexisted decently since. The fourth city, Anvil, set itself away from the other three by some ways, and is home to a more mixed population. I could name an amount of the smaller towns that were established, though I could not promise they are still extant."
She pauses for another sip of water, offering another opportunity for the drow or her companions to speak up.

Steam continues quietly nibbling a mushroom cap, periodically taking a drink of water before continuing. She listens but keeps her face down, her mannerism intending to convey she doesn't have anything to add.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 749
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:20 am

"That's pretty much it for the most part. There's also my home of Dela'neev which is fairly well mixed in population. It was founded by some those who chose to escape Kelfas by boat and is the largest such island community. Supposedly the captains of the three ships that landed there originally took charge of settling and keeping everyone safe in the beginning and over time their descendants found themselves as the ones in charge once things settled down. We mainly trade with Anvil" Says Adelinde with a slight shrug and flick of the tail.

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 364
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:32 am

The male quickly writes down everything the group says as they say it, the female scholar is clearly listening intently.

"My next question would be, how did you manage to get down here? There has not been any way up to the surface anywhere near here for a very long time." Zarethria asks.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:08 am

"We didn't directly come from the surface to be fair. We were tasked with exploring tunnels underneath the ruins of Kelfas by The Boar and his group. Specifically to look further into something we found earlier during a similar task but couldn't explore in detail at the time. Inside we found a machine from Kelfas that was still in fairly good condition, and a tunnel with a moving platform that lead to where we were found. We managed to get the machine working and came down here to see what the tunnel led to." Adelinde answers with a small shrug.

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 364
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Zarethria and the scholarly female drow share a look that certainly means... something, but you're unsure what. Then the female scholar asks, "Could you tell us more about how this device works in detail and how you control the part of the machine that is down here?"
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:27 pm

"While I was able to figure out how to use it, I'm afraid I don't fully understand HOW exactly it works. I know the device controls earth elementals and that it prevents them from moving up higher into where Kelfas lay. As for the platform, there was a part of the device that separated from it intended for use in commanding the earth elemental bound to it to carry us up or down."

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 364
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 pm

"I see. Do you think the part used to carry you down or the other earth elementals could make a larger tunnel between here and somewhere on the surface?" Zarethria asks.

((You're pretty sure that it could in fact do that and that it wouldn't be too hard for you to figure it out.))
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Steam continues quietly attempting to entice Ketha with the food, likely to little, possibly middling success. She is barely paying attention to the discourse currently happening.

Parveth pays polite attention to Adelinde's disclosure, content to let her take the reins. She is slightly worried about the drow gaining renewed access to the surface, but she only betrays her discomfort a little bit.
((Deception: 9 = (1 7) +2 ))
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 749
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Adelinde folds one arm across her chest to support the other at the elbow and taps her chin in thought, her tail flicking idly behind her every few moments. "Hmmm, possibly? I can't say for sure... Without checking I can't be certain but off the top of my head the biggest concern would be where this tunnel you want would be." She concludes with a small shrug.

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 364
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 pm

"I see. Well I would have to confer with the council about that. I assume a larger cavern would work best?" Zarethria asks.

((It actually would only matter at all if you consider purposes of not collapsing tunnels and such. The earth elementals can travel through and move pretty much any amount of earth and rock and such.))

Regardless of what the answer is her next question is, "You mentioned earlier that you could see Malnibonae. As far as I understand, the surface races do not see in the darkness well enough for that. How were you able to do so?"
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:58 am

Parveth sits up a slight more as she answers, having slumped into a more comfortable position as Adelinde answered.
"A potion has enhanced our sight. This feels an anticlimactic answer, but such is the truth.
A second potion awaits us on the return to cleanse us of the effects of the first, so we may return to sunlight without being blinded."


Steam sort of pauses her compulsive nibbling to timidly add, "Um, full disclosure, I didn't drink the potion so I'm very dependent on your candles at the moment. Thank you for them and the food, by the by, this is delicious."
She returns to nibbling.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 749
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:45 pm

"You're most welcome. I'm glad you find it enjoyable." Zarethria replies to Steam with a smile.

The older scholar asks, "Do you have more of either of these potions? Studying them would be of some interest. We would be willing to pay you for them."
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:39 pm

"Well sure you can!" Steam forgets her self-imposed trial for a moment as she happily digs in her bag to pull out her pair of potions. She scoots them towards the scribes, or hands them to a helper if the scribes are very out of arm's reach, and says, "No charge! We've been enough of an imposition already!" She smiles pleasantly.

Parveth narrows her eyes a bit at Steam. The wood elf is not particularly mercantile-minded, but Steam just giving away her potential ability to see down here at all is not a good turn of events for actually no gain.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 749
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:32 pm

"Steam no, I appreciate your enthusiasm but we should hear what they have to offer first. It may be something we dearly need." Adelinde reaches over and lowers Steam's arm, patting it in a friendly way before turning her attention towards the scribes, settling back into her seat and smoothing out her robes as her tail languidly swings to her opposite side and settles against her.. "Apologies, she means well but that isn't a decision for her to make on her own. If I may, what would you be willing to offer for them?"

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 364
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:24 pm

They raise an eyebrow at Steam's offer. The older scholar replies, "Of course dear."

The scholars whisper back and forth and bit before the elder one says, "Gold would probably be of the most use to you. There are merchants you could buy whatever goods you actually would find useful yourself rather than us spending time figuring such things out here and now. How does two hundred gold per potion sound?"

Spoiler:

When Adelinde withdraws Steam's offer, she can actually tell Zarethria and the older scholar are a bit relieved/have more solid footing on how to do these discussions. They clearly understand trade (either financial or political) and are wary of what Steam might expect in exchange for "free" things.
The younger one seems to feel like "*snaps fingers* dang!" and only seems to grasp they missed out on getting free stuff.

The elder scholar's offer is a lowball. The potions are worth about three times (maybe more) what she's offering. She's prepared you to haggle but also isn't ruling out that she can take advantage of it if you surface people aren't as cunning as the drow or are too afraid of upsetting them to haggle.
That said, you wouldn't want to ask for too close to it's actual value. You'd probably offend them if you went higher than half their value since that would be giving them a worse deal than you'd get out of a regular merchant. Haggling but keeping the offer under half would probably garner the most respect and political currency as they'd know you're keen but also that you were willing to give them a discount and first grab (better if you're only selling the potions to them) at the potions.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:14 am

Adelinde smiles winningly as she speaks animatedly, drawing on her natural showmanship with little flourishes of her hand and flicks of her tail meant to draw attention to herself. Subtly moving her hands so when she gestures to the potions they twinkle with the ethereal blue light of the chandeliers as shadow of her hands passes over them. "Come now my lady, they're worth more than that! These potions are made with techniques from the legendary age of Kelfas itself! I can hardly imagine the secrets that could be pried from just examining the glass-work of these bottles, never mind the potions! Techniques and secrets lost to the ages could be hiding inside this little package just waiting to be rediscovered! Surely you can bear to part with a little more for that? 315." It was a little more than she was expecting to get, but she certainly wouldn't object to it if they agreed and it gave her somewhere to go if they didn't.
stuff:
17+7=24 persuasion to haggle

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 364
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:13 pm

The older scholar smiles at Adelinde and says the number out loud as if she's mulling it over. She looks over to her younger male companion who clearly wants to say something. Then she somewhat pointedly doesn't ask him his opinion and looks back to Adelinde and replies, "315 it is. You've made a good show of it deary. So how many are you willing to part with? I would be willing to purchase a dozen sets of them."
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:17 pm

The group leans together to discuss what they'd like to do, Ketha continuing to frown at the going-ons (?).
After a moment, the group resettles into their seats and Parveth speaks up. "We would be willing to part with 5 sets. I believe that totals to..."

((ROLLS FOR MATH: A 2!))

There's an audible pause. It's vaguely unclear whether she's struggling with the math, or attempting to lead the older scholar into stating the amount.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 749
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 pm

"That would be 3150 dear. If you could take them out, my assistant will fetch the coin." the older scholar replies and looks to the younger one who nods and leaves the room, presumably to fetch the money.

"So now that that's been handled, I was wondering how do those on the surface view the Drow, the Underdark in general, and Lolth?" Zarethria asks.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1550
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum