Root of Evil

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Root of Evil

Post  quietkal on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:42 pm

As Swift approaches, she spots several traps that are somewhat hidden among the foliage. She severs the man's head easily. He was already 100% dead, but you went ahead and pushed that to 120%.
Things on him:
No weapons. Literally none.
He's wearing studded leather armor, which is now liberally coated in his blood.
He also has pretty stylish clothes, if now somewhat slashed up and bloodied.
You find the slip of paper he waved at you earlier. It seems like an actual license for 'general banditry,' but something just feels off about it.
Another slip of paper is hidden on his person. It's pitch black, made of some substance which rubs off onto you as you handle the slip. There's no discernible writing or symbols on it, and it has a peculiar chalky odor to it.
There's also a coin purse containing 10 gold and 7 silver pieces.
The tree pauses in thought, a new action for it, before slowly responding (in either Sylvan or Common, whichever language Nari chose for it), "There was no name before...only the land...and the beasts..."

The wooded area around you sort of slowly resumes the normal semblance of life, sounds of small animals and insects returning to whatever life they live.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:36 am

Swift points out the traps to the party so they can avoid them and advises everyone to walk carefully anyway.

As Swift removes the armor and the clothes if they look like anything the group might like or if they look valuable (and wiping off the blood on some leaves), Amber will cast Mending on them.

Swift tears up the "license" and takes the money.

I'm a bit unsure on exactly what you mean about the other slip of paper. If it's wholly made up of some super brittle substance... well I don't even know how the guy was carrying it on him without it breaking apart. If you just mean it's coated in something which rubs off, I guess they'd try to rub it off with leaves to see if it reveals anything.

The language the tree speaks in is common because Nari, while a prankster, isn't a jerk who'd make a tree intelligent enough to talk to people and make it then unable to actually do so. She looks at the tree and attempts to determine what kind of tree it is. (Is this something that even requires a roll? It doesn't feel like it would. Seeing as it's just a regular tree in the same country she comes from.)
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:06 pm

As they head back to the road, Swift asks Amber to borrow her dagger. Amber hands it over and Swift begins carefully trying to scrape off the black substance from the paper.

Nari asks the tree, "Would you like a name that features the words Chestnut or Oak? Or just... one of those as a name?"
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:08 pm

The tree again slowly responds, "You may...give...a name...if you...wish...but...I...do not...require...one..."

Your group returns to the path, your tree friend opting to trudge along in the grassy area.

A short time passes uneventfully, your group just walking along the road, before you encounter another traveler; a young-looking human woman walking in the opposite direction. Her brown hair is put up in a tight bun, and her pink, floral kimono flows cutely in the wind. A wrapping covers her nose and lower half of her face. Several daggers clearly sit sheathed at her waist.
She gives your group a polite nod as she approaches, and moves toward the road wall she's closer to, her path putting her to merely pass by.

((Sound of GM rolling so many Insight checks))

Without being able to see most of her face, she's a bit difficult to read, but by her body language she's not hostile or even busy. She's just casually strolling in the other direction. Doesn't seem like she's going to instigate a conversation, but would probably be open to talking.
Her clothes show that she's encountered significantly more affluence than most of the people you've seen, having enough for niceties like fine clothes.
There's something just sort of...off about her, that makes you think she isn't just like...rando noble. The wrapping covering her mouth is unusual to see, and she bears the weapons at her side with the confidence of someone who has used them before and is not afraid to use them again.
Regardless, you believe you could strike up some friendly conversation if you want. Or let her keep on her way. w/e
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:55 am

((I was kind of hoping to loot the other corpses too. Also what gender does the tree's voice sound like? Or just not at all like either gender?))

Swift looks the woman over appraisingly, Amber doesn't really seem to care, Nari just looks because it's something to look at. Sora however gives the stranger a greeting, "Greetings! How's the road down that way?" The direction indicated with a pointed finger in the direction of the road the woman came from.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Corpse loot:
Right right, sorry. Well, one of the people was pulverized. Anything remaining on them is just bits and shards now.
The other two are wearing unimpressive leather armor, and there's three scimitars on the ground where they dropped their weapons before trying to flee. They also have light crossbows and twenty bolts each. Again, like Sarren's armor, you don't think you'll be able to sell them in Wernstrum without a license. But once you get to an area that's a bit less...I dunno, mad about licenses, you could probably get about 5 gp each for the armors, and 12-ish gp for the light crossbows. Net about 35 gp if you remove their weapons and armor and sell them at some point later.
Oh, there's also coin pouches on each of them, containing about 20 cp apiece.
While we're on the subject of corpses, do you...give them a burial or anything? Hide them vaguely from the road? Just leave them laying about?
The tree's voice isn't especially gendered, but with its low and creaking nature it sounds vaguely masculine.

The woman slows her pace so she can converse without just passing by. She seems very genial.
"Greetings to you also. I found it quite well, though it may have changed since I passed it. I see you've brought some of your path with you." She nods towards your tree friend with a slight chuckle.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:48 pm

The looting occurs and the bandits are tossed into the woods just out of sight.

Sora laughs and nods and replies with a smile, "Yes, I supposed we did. I'd introduce you but we haven't figured out a name for them yet. I don't suppose you have any suggestions?"
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:01 pm

The woman considers for a moment. "Perhaps...'Tendo'? Not exactly traditional, but I feel it plays well given the circumstances. Speaking of names, may I have yours? I," she gives a respectful bow, "...am Otsuru."

You don't recognize her name, but you're also new to the region so that's not especially unusual.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:13 pm

"Tendo it is then!" Sora replies with another laugh. "I am Sora Takashiro, paladin of Olidammara. My companions are Swift, Nari, and Amber of the Darkbrew clan." Swift and Amber both give nods in greeting, Nari gives a wave and then begins sounding out "tendo" a few times.

"We had an encounter not so long ago with a few bandits in the direction you're heading, so the path should be safe traveling now. So what is the reason for your travels? We are searching for a fallen star... well that is the goal, though mostly it's just an excuse and something to give direction to our travels for a time."
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:52 pm

The newly named tree turns to Nari, the two sounding the name back and forth between them.

The woman bows again. "A pleasure to meet so many of the Darkbrew clan. It has been long since I walked with so many of my own, but they have their own duties to tend to. The star is not mine, so I wish you luck in finding it."

She turns and gives Sora a curious look, before continuing, "A paladin of Olidammara? I wasn't aware paladins took his name. Not providing judgement, I'm just...surprised he is your choice."

The fact that she very definitely avoided stating what her business actually is doesn't escape your notice. But y'know, maybe she just didn't want to brag or something.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:11 pm

"What? No, I'm the only Darkbrew among us." Amber corrects.

Sora laughs and replies, still smiling, "You wouldn't be the first to comment so. It may not be the most common of callings, but I find it works for me. Well I wish you luck with.... whatever mischief it is you might be up to."

Swift gives Sora a look that says "Ah, so you noticed that too."
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:03 pm

What you can see of the woman's face blushes as she responds, "Ah! My mistake. Please accept my apologies. I thank you, and hope your own mischief goes just as well. Perhaps we'll pass each other again."
She bows to your group one final time, before resuming her path.

Last edited by quietkal on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:58 pm

Sora returns the bow. Nari waves. The group continues on, though Swift watches Otsuru for a while afterwards just to make sure she's not a threat or if she can read anything about her behavior once she thinks they're no longer looking or something.

After a few minutes Nari asks Tendo if he minds if she rides in their branches. If Tendo is ok with it, Amber will ask if she could as well.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Otsuru continues past the group, seemingly carefree. She even gets up on the sidewall of the road for a bit, playing about as she continues onward.
This continues until she gets to about where the group had tossed the corpses, whereupon she stops and looks about for a moment, before quickly hopping off the road in the direction of the bodies. She doesn't immediately return.

Tendo is agreeable to Nari and Amber riding his branches. Some scrambling occurs, but with some assistance by the tree they manage to find good spots to settle. From their new vantage and as the road crests a hill, they can spy Wernstrum proper in the distance. It seems less like a town, and more like a manor that has expanded considerably. Walls encircle it, and the road you're on seems to run straight through to the other side. Another road heads off in a south-western direction.
The way is clear, the light is good. You have no fear, nor no one should. Seems like you could keep on at your pace and arrive a little before noon.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:44 pm

The group continues on, wary for any random monsters or bandits along the way.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Swift continues shaving off bits from the weird black paper, the flecks starting to cover the blade. Through no small amount of effort, she's managed to clear off a section of the paper underneath this black, powdery substance that has encased that top of the paper. It's...just regular paper underneath, as far as she can tell. She gets the impression this isn't the way to figure out what's up with this weird paper.

About 100' from the town, Tendo slows and stops. He says, "You...intend on...entering...yes?" And he pauses for an answer, before continuing, "It...is not my place. I...will remain...outside...the walls. Call out for me...when you have...finished...your business...within."
He leans several branches down to allow Nari and Amber an easy disembarking, and as your group presumably continues on without him Tendo wanders away from the path and into the wood.

((If you especially want to interact with him or try to convince him to enter in with you, you can but like...he's an awakened tree. They're not like aggressive but unless you're like a nature nut you're not exactly happy about them tromping about your house.))

Your group approaches the gate, a large wooden door barred with iron, which in general looks very similar to the one at Fell's Edge, if somewhat smaller. It'd allow like a single wagon through at a time, as opposed by Fell's Edge allowing two, maybe three.
Also in similarity to Fell's Edge, there's scorch marks on the walls and stone path as you get closer to the gate, and several burnt stumps remain around the area. This path has mostly been put back together though. You pass a singular worker who's still working on assembling the remnants of the path, and they just sort of stand off to the side as you pass them by, returning to work again after you've moved on.
A young-ish human in leather armor leans on the top of the wall, and looking down to your group he nervously says, "Uh...hey. We weren't expecting...you...alll... Do ya...have a reason for visit?" He's got fairly long brown hair, which just kind of tousles in the wind, and his voice cracks noticeably as he talks, really sort of cementing the fact that he's a teenager.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Amber remains behind a bit to ask the worker, "What happened to cause all this damage?"

"We're mostly passing through, but we're also seeking to get various permits and looking for any kind of work one might ask of travelers such as ourselves."
Sora replies to the teenager.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:13 pm

The worker is pretty obviously nervous about the whole...look of your group, but they still respond, "Oh...uh...it...the, the Blood Moon. The...whole...devils coming out? Wrecking shop? Can't get past the wall...so...just mess stuff up out here I guess..." They continue fixing the road, replacing broken or missing bricks with fresh ones, periodically nervously glancing at your fairly otherworldly party.

"Yea alright. You're...not gonna need your weapons for any of that in here...so...put 'em in here." He tosses down a bag about the size of a belt pouch. "It'll...zip...closed while you're inside the walls...but y' get to carry 'em with you still, so...that's good...I guess, if you got trust issues or something."

Assuming you look into the bag:
You die! haha no but that's a fun joke

The bag is significantly larger inside than it appears, opening to a space that's about the size of a large closet. If any of your characters have seen a Bag of Holding before, this appears to be some sort of smaller version of it. There is no air inside the bag, but the temperature remains about the same as what's outside.
A few weapon racks and unlocked chests float within arms reach inside. It could easily hold all of your weapons in a safe manner, such that none of them are just floating around and might slash the bag from inside.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:19 pm

"Ah, I see." Amber replies and joins up with the rest of the group.

Sora examines the bag. "Neat!" she says and then puts in her weapons. Swift follows suit. Amber puts in her dagger but not her rod unless the guard says something about it. Nari puts her scimitar in and asks the guard, "Do I have to put my staff away?"
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:42 pm

"You planning on smacking anybody with it? Same question for your...cup on stick as well." He nods towards Amber.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:45 pm

"No." Amber replies at the same time as Nari replies, "No.....?" in a way that sounds somewhat undecided.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:48 pm

"Yeah whatever I don't care," You hear a lever be thrown above you, and the gate in front of you slowly stars creaking open. The boy-guard above the wall leans back out of sight, but his voice continues over in a very rehearsed manner. "Welcome to Wernstrum manor, home of Lord Obsequious Wernstrum. We hope you enjoy your stay, please appreciate the lush gardens and vast records contained within. A wall stands only with many bricks."

Finally, the gate stands fully open, revealing a manor of grey stone and dark wood which sprawls like a small town; the many expansions and newly constructed buildings giving the whole thing an unexpectedly chaotic sort of look. Banners hang down displaying the sigil of Wernstrum, the same geometric shape of an equilateral triangle with a circle around its top point. People in working clothes move from building to building, again mostly humans but some halflings and half-elves are intermixed. A few guards stand around, their leather armor making them stand out from the crowds. A few of them seem like they're veterans, but the majority are younger and seem new to the duty.

As you step inside, the bag holding your weapons cinches closed. You could probably still attempt to open it, but it'd be fairly difficult. Maybe even what one might consider a contest of sorts.

"Don't forget to check out the gift shop before you leave." The lever is thrown again after you pass through, and the gate shuts once more.

Places of Interest!
Obsequious Wernstrum's Office
Guard Building
The Records
The Kitchen
The Gardens
The Gift Shop

but if there's something else you want to do, you can also attempt to do that?
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Amber asks the same guard, "Where do we go to get all the" -indecipherable noise- "licenses we need to do basically anything?"
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:03 am

"You talk to Wernstrum, he'll get you setup for whatever you're trying to do."
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:11 am

"Thank you." Amber replies.

And thus the group headed to Obsequious Wernstrum's Office, to see a man about a dog some licenses.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top