Root of Evil

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Root of Evil

Post  quietkal on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:43 pm

The group enters the office to find a dog behind a man's desk. "Bork bork?," he strongly intones. Menace overwhelms you as he rises from the desk. ROLL FOR INITIATIVE

The group navigates the manor-town fairly easily, passing by many people busy with their own tasks. Still mostly human, but a few high elves, half elves, and gnomes are mixed in. Also passed periodically is someone who you'd assume is a guard by their armor, but much like the one atop the gate they all seem fairly young for the duty. People generally give your group a sort of unsure look, but seem otherwise preoccupied with their work.
You pass by the Gardens on the way. At a glance you see a number of fruit and vegetable plants, the apparent focus of the gardens being growing actual food with stylized appearance a secondary consideration. A veil of reeds stands further away, possibly concealing more to the gardens.

The manor is made of a cedar-like wood, and the whole thing seems well taken care of and decently decorated. Well tread rugs sit on the floors, and candles sit ready on most surfaces for when night falls. There's not much decorating the walls, besides the periodic banner emblazoned with Wernstrum's mark. There also doesn't seem to be a...throne room, or anything similar to that sort, where a lord would sit above and inquirers would have to approach them.
You pass by the door to the Records as you near the lord's office, which you notice seems to be shut and locked. So a bit less of a potential destination than previously implied, but you're a smart cookie, you could figure something out if you're really interested in going there.

Lord Obsequious Wernstrum's office is...surprisingly small for what you assume or generally know a noble to have. Cabinets line the entirety of the walls, except for another doorway which would seem to lead to the Records which has a slot in the middle of it, presumably for passing items through. A human in his thirties sits behind a desk of some dark wood, working through a manuscript of some hundreds of pages as you enter. He's not particularly unattractive, but on the whole his features are just sort of plain. He sets the manuscript down as he notices your group enter, a small smile playing across his face. Besides the thick manuscript and a signet stamp, the desk is otherwise cleared. It's safe to assume this is Lord Obsequious Wernstrum.
"Hello! What can I do for you all today? Presumably sign some licenses, as I don't recognize any of you. Or perhaps you've found the star and are looking to claim your prize?"
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Sora returns the smile brightly and replies, "Your presumption is correct my Lord. While we do intend to make some effort to find this star, we'd like to do other things as well and trading of goods and crafting them and selling them and taking on jobs of the adventurous sort are among those things and so.... here we are!"
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:10 am

"Excellent! Do you have the proper forms, or do you require them?" He begins reaching for a cabinet within arm's reach.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:12 am

"The later." Sora replies.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:20 am

"Great!" He pops open the cabinet and begins rifling through the immense amount of papers within. "What are you looking for approval on? Adventuring within the borders, I assume, and you'll need to do a small check quest before I approve you on that, but what sorts of goods? Are you a craftsman yourself, or transporting the goods of others? Or turning for a profit what remnants you scavenged from your foes?" He pulls out forms as he names possible ventures, and seems oddly excited about the prospect of paperwork.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:31 am

"The adventuring absolutely!" Sora replies. Swift chimes in with "That last thing for sure." And Amber says, "I am a blacksmith and brewer. I could see us winding up transporting the goods of others as well if we came across the opportunity." After Amber says this Sora adds on, "I'm sort of a jewler and a cook?" "Ummmm, do we need licenses for gambling or playing music?" Swift asks. "Do we need magic licenses or thievery or other kinds of things like that?" Nari asks, trying to be helpful. Sure barks. Maybe there was a question or request for a kind of license in there, who knows?
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:56 am

He plops a stack of papers in front of each person with the instruction to print and sign their name on the indicated area of the forms, before responding to Swift. "An excellent question, miss! I'll expound a bit on how my system works; I really need to get around to making some sort of introduction to it, but there's just always so much to do. You don't 'need' a license to perform an action here. This isn't a plane of order, as I'm sure you're well aware, your magic won't be snuffed out just because you haven't signed a form, you won't find yourself physically incapable of cooking food because you don't have a slip of paper explicitly stating that you can. Rather, these licenses show that you're proficient in a certain field, and that whatever relevant service you're providing has been checked and is of at least moderate quality. People weren't crazy about it at first, but now that you can just ask for someone's license and be guaranteed they aren't just bluffing you. And if you're not happy with how the system around here works, there's two neighboring governances that'd be happy to accommodate you."

Amongst the forms put before the group include a stack of files for adventuring, which reminds them of the 'quest' they've already completed by having Liam stamp their form back in Fell's Edge.
Listing the forms, in case this helps you get a better idea of what else you could ask for.
Forms:
Adventuring
Blacksmithing
Brewing
Transportation of Quality Goods (citation needed regarding transported goods)
Gemcutting
Food Preparation
Game Mastery
Musical Crafts
Arcane Arts
Unlocking Arts
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:25 am

Suddenly recalling their previously stamped form, Sora will present it and ask, "Does this qualify for our quest?"

As they all fill out the forms (Swift making sure Nari doesn't do very irresponsible things with hers like using a different name on each form), Swift comments with a laugh, "I can't imagine most people with this last skill often actually fill out this form." (She's talking about the Unlocking Skill form.)

Sure barks again and this time Swift realizes what Sure is suggesting and asks, "Do we need hunting licenses?"
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:59 am

"It does!" He readily takes his stamp and adds his own mark to the form. THE PACT IS SEALED
Your group signs the forms? Nothing weird happens.
He turns to Swift, "You'd be surprised then! Well, I hope you'd be surprised, I can't track what people don't tell me. But we've had people applying for licenses of what's usually a... less than reputable skill. Also, testing locks is important! Can't know if they'll keep out an average thief if you don't test them. Oh, and forgive me for not noticing your wolf friend before." He opens another cabinet and retrieves a small glass jar containing some sort of biscuits. He pulls one out and offers it to Swift, indicating it's a snack for Sure. "You don't need a license just to hunt, not unless you intend to turn your catch for profit." He reaches into another cabinet and pulls out the relevant form, sliding it in front of Swift.

heh. "for sure".
also there's some pens available for signing, I realize now I hadn't actually described that anywhere but I think we both sort of knew
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:02 am

Swift shrugs as his words and makes sure to handle the snack before handing it to Sure so Sure knows it's safe, upon which point Sure greedily eats it. As Swift signs the hunting form Sure barks again and Swift laughs and asks if she can have another hunting form.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:20 am

Sure has a sweet treat that's good to eat.
"Hmm. I don't have a good argument against it, so alright!" He passes Sure a form as well, moving a small ink pad down to her, presumably for her pawprint.
He reaches for your signed forms and stamps his mark on them in its own designated space, before offering them back. "And there you go, you should be all set! Just show those if someone asks for your license, and they should accept them. If not, look for your nearest government official and they should help resolve the issue. Anything else I can do for you?"
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:24 am

Sure happily "signs" the form, Swift and Nari are clearly very amused.

"Thank you my Lord. Actually, we were wondering if there was anything we could do for you. We are adventurers afterall." Sora replies with a smile.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:15 pm

"Ah! Yes, of course!" He leans over to the door to records and gives it a light knock. The small flap on it opens and he states into it, "Quests," before turning back to your group with a smile. "It'll be just a moment, we don't have too many adventurers passing through so I don't keep the files in here."
Maybe a minute passes before folders begin floating through the mail slot, traveling briefly across the air as they head to the desk and begin laying themselves out in front of you. This seems like magic, but he hasn't cast a spell since you've been in the room, so there's either another spellcaster next door or this is some kind of longer lasting magic.
"These are the requests for aid by adventurers we've received which have not been completed; you're free to accept as many or as few as you'd like, though if someone else completes it before you...well, obviously you didn't solve whatever problem was involved so you won't be compensated. There's marks on the ones that have been accepted by others prior to you, if you're not interested in taking those. Or maybe you're trying to catch up to them and make new associates, whatever floats your boat."

You completed the 'Get Licenses, I Guess' quest! Each character gets 100 xp. The "/" marks below denote general amount of people that have taken the quest before you.

The Fallen Star /////////////////////
--((It's the 'big quest' you're already on. Star fell about a month ago. Many people have tried, no people have succeeded. Wernstrum's offering what's effectively a barony. Money, title, land. Whole bunch of good stuff to settle down with.))
Investigate Byyte //
--Curious mind wants to learn more about this creature that seems like it could reign destruction throughout , and seems willing to, but...hasn't? If you have information on this large, magical boar, please bring it to Alice in Narrit (the southern town in Wernstrum), you'll be compensated accordingly
Giant Rats in Basement! /
--Help! Rodents of unusual size in Porttown town hall basement! Please remove them!
Weird Woods Thing, Come Get Rid of It
--Something has been following me as I do my normal collection of lumber. I haven't seen it, but I know it's there. Meet me in Narrit, name's Samson
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:25 pm

Sora looks them over and looks to the others. There is a rather brief discussion before Sora turns back to him and says, "You can mark us down for all of them. Though I don't know if we'll actually complete any of them before someone else does. We'd like to take a look around Wernstrum and see what it has to offer before heading out. And I guess with that, we'll say good day my Lord."

Assuming he doesn't stop them, their first stop is The Gift Shop.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:59 pm

A tinge of worry in his voice as the group starts to walk away without the papers, he says, "If you're accepting them, please take the forms with you. The quest giver should sign off on them when you've completed it to their satisfaction, and if you have the copies on you you'll be notified nigh immediately if the quest is completed before you get to it." He watches your group, sort of anxious for your group to take the papers with you.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:01 pm

"Oh. Right sorry." Sora replies and takes the papers. Swift raises an eyebrow and asks, "Notified... how?"
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:21 pm

With a grin, he says, "Magic!" There's a beat where he just smiles at the group, before continuing, "I can't go into the specifics of the underlying mechanics, but the forms you have will become marked to show that they've been completed. Uh, I know I have some older quests around here somewhere..."
He opens a couple of cabinets, before pulling out a pair of forms, both with the signet of Wernstrum prominently displayed across their face, one colored in bright blues and reds and the other grayed. They're for a quest title "Man Trapped in Well?" "My mark comes to light on each of the relevant forms when any of its duplicates becomes signed. If you have the completing signature, the symbol is colored. Otherwise it's greyed out. There's no...ringing bell sound or anything, so I suppose 'notified nigh immediately' could be a bit misleading. Notified as soon as you look at the form again?"
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Swift thinks about the noise making possibility and replies, "That's probably for the best. Adventurers sometimes need to be stealthy and need their rest, so sudden unexpected noises could be a problem."
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:53 am

Wernstrum is happy to let the group leave, now equipped with significantly more paper than they entered the room with. "Safe travels." He resumes the text he'd plopped down when you entered.

The "Gift Shop" isn't especially difficult to find, the pathways seeming to naturally try and funnel you towards it as you leave Wernstrum's Office. The garish sign prominently displaying its title and large glass windows, despite being wholly indoors, confirms pretty well the odd shop you'd expected. Odds and ends cover shelves and tables in the shop, and a sleepy-looking, heavier set human woman stands behind a counter. "Oh...welcome to my shop! Have you enjoyed your time in Wernstrum proper?" She pops a cookie from an open tin in front of her into her mouth.
She's sort of older, like 50s maybe, and seems a gentle soul. She doesn't seem to have a reaction to your menagerie of races. She's dressed in a stylized robe. It's not fancy, but it looks nice on her. She's also wearing a wooden necklace, which prominently displays a white heart. It's a symbol of Rao, a god of peace and reason.
Gifts? The things in the shop:
In no particular order:
150 gp. A small sack, which seems to be similar to the one currently containing your weapons excepting the security measures of zipping up inside of the territory and maybe more things? There's several of these laying out, implying they have some means of producing or otherwise obtaining them regularly.
10 gp. A palm-sized, solid glass orb. Functions as an arcane focus (crystal), and can be consulted to determine the phases of the moons. This information is relayed by superimposed images of the moons appearing inside the orb when requested. There's only a couple of these sitting out.
1 gp. A tin of butter cookies. Looks tasty.
1 gp. A glass bottle of water, which is comfortably cool to the touch. Seems refreshing.
5 sp. A map of the Wernstrum region, or a map of the Bell. It's a physical version of those things in the OOC, and if we weren't online would make for sort of neat real props.
5 cp each. Whatever kitschy things you can imagine. Like...really; snowglobes, coasters, name plates, flimsy wooden swords, t-shirts, bouncy balls, coloring books, playing cards, whatever as long as it bares Wernstrum's signet. They're all as functional as you'd expect for 5 cp.

If you really want to make Insight/Investigation on her, lemme know and I'll roll 'em and hit you back with some info. But like, I'll be honest, most anything you try to dig for I'm gonna have to make on the fly. She's just an ol' sweetie.
Like Wee Jas, you don't have to roll to know general stuff about Rao, just assume you know that and ask me questions if you have them. Questions getting sort of deep into the lore you'd have to make a check for tho.
What a campaign, so far, huh? Started, went shopping, had dinner, killed some people, did some paperwork, going shopping again. Only the highest of high adventure provided here at quickle games.
Also, as a note, the forms you had for the adventure license quest-thing also had the big colored mark appear on them after they got stamped by Wernstrum. I definitely didn't just absolutely forget about that when that event happened, yup yup.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:16 am

Upon entering the shop and hearing the question Sora gives a nod, Swift gives a shrug, and Amber and Nari share a look of "I don't even know man."

Sora picks up one of the bags of holding and one each of both kinds of maps and puts them before the shopkeep and says, "We would like these." Nari then quickly puts a tin of cookies right next to the other stuff without Sora noticing as Sora asks, "We are also wondering if you purchase things as we have goods we would like to sell and the proper licenses." Amber looking around for barrels only finds tiny flagon sized barrels and waits to hear the answer to Sora's question.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:58 pm

The shopkeep looks over the goods, touching a few of them briefly, "Wow, you can afford one of the bags? That's so cool...all together it's 15 platinum and a gold, or equal value." She tilts her head slightly, before continuing, "What sort of goods do you have? If it's like, food or books I'd be interested, but I really don't care for any fight-y bits if that's what you've got." She pauses for a moment, before correcting herself, "You could try the guard building, I think Rowan's there at the moment and he's nice." She pops another cookie into her mouth.

Once you've paid, she offers to giftwrap the items if you'd like. Not sure if I made this clear, but the bags of holding are empty, they don't come with the stands and chests that the bag holding your weapons had within it.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:28 pm

Sora takes out the stylish clothes and the coin purses to see if the shopkeeper is interested in those. Amber decides not to bother with the trouble of the tiny ale barrels.

((Do I need the stands and chests? Do they sell those here?))
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Thu May 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Stands and Chests:
So stands or chests would allow you to safely store bladed objects inside the bag without having a chance for it to be ruptured from the inside and spilling out all your biz into the current area. You could also figure out another way to safely store blades, if indeed that's something you want to do.
Other than that, the chests and stands are just vague additional flavor sort of.
The woman looks over the offered clothes and coin pouches, gets a good feel for them, eats another cookie, and hmms and hahs over the items for a bit. "Mmmm...yeah, I guess I could do something with these. Something around 32 gold seem fair to you?" She reaches below the counter and pulls out a fairly full coin pouch, counting gold pieces from it as she pulls them out. "Do you want directions to the guard place, or do you know where it is already?"
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Thu May 25, 2017 6:06 pm

Sora accepts the trade of goods and coin and says, "Directions would be welcome." and smiles. Noticing the tin of cookies she looks at them in confusion for a moment before Nari grabs them with a grin and Sora just rolls her eyes. After getting said directions, the group travels over to the guards.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:13 am

Directions are passed, cookies are nommed, and your group travels to another section of the town-mansion without incident, again passing primarily people who seem like they live/work here.

You find what you were directed to fairly near the other side of the Records, an area which seems to be the guard's front office. There's a front desk with a middle-aged man behind it, currently shuffling some papers. A hallway runs off behind him and out of sight, a guard or two travelling to/from that location. A man who just by appearance you'd call a thief sits in shackles on a nearby bench, struggling with them quietly, a wry grin on his face.

The man behind the desk notices your group, sort of looks your group over, and addresses you fairly pleasantly. "Oh, uh. Hey. How can I help you all?"
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top