Root of Evil

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Root of Evil

Post  quietkal on Wed May 25, 2016 1:35 pm

We start where most adventures do, in a tavern. This one is called “the Gilded Thimble,” and has been the residence for several of your group while the stragglers worked their way to Fell’s Edge before everyone heads off together.

Fell’s Edge is a city under the governance of Wernstrum, walled at its boundaries like most cities in the Bell. Outside of the cities it’s a relatively dangerous and monster-laden land, even more so than normal in these months after the Blood Moon. Most of the farms are outside the walls despite this, there simply not being enough space within the walls to contain them with all the space housing and the marketplace require.

The more notable places in Fell’s Edge include: a decent-sized marketplace with a few dwarven vendors standing out; a port that offers passage to other locations on the Ghave; a large cathedral to Wee Jas that stands just outside the southern edge of the city, its black stone construction and teal flame at the top making it stand out quite distinctly from the otherwise wood-constructed buildings; Mirath Tendle’s house, the local ‘lord’ who governs Fell’s Edge under Wernstrum’s direction; and of course, “the Gilded Thimble,” the tavern you’re currently lodging in.

“The Gilded Thimble” is owned by a gnome goes by Erky Timbers, Tim Tim Timmy Tim Timothy Tim Tim, and a host of other names as gnomes are want to do. The fellow Bronze Ring member has provided free lodgings for you whilst you stay in Fell’s Edge. He still asks that you pay for the food, but that’s just good form. It’s a quaint place decorated with overly large renditions of objects in the intention of making it seem like you’re actually tiny and inside of a thimble. A small shrine to Oldiramma is set up behind the bar, ensuring a steady supply of ale and a general joviality to the air. The rooms for lodgings are on the upper floor and surprisingly comfortable. You expect that if you weren’t allowed to stay here for free, these would be rather expensive accommodations, with many fine objects providing for comfort.

The final member(s) of your group either arrived at the Gilded Thimble either last night or just now. It’s about mid-morning currently, sometime between second breakfast and lunch. What would you like to do?
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Root of Evil

Post  Ramsus on Wed May 25, 2016 2:34 pm

Nari, in her humanoid form with her fox ears and tail out, is sitting at a table across from Sora and next to Swift who was in the middle of making a joke, at which Sora is laughing, while petting Nari on the head because Nari didn't get the joke and Swift finds her cute. This is when Amber arrives. The others don't immediately notice, but she spots them right away and walks up. "You must be the group I am to meet with. I am Amber Darkbrew. Brewer and smith in the ancient dwarven traditions and sorcerer in the traditions of none I have heard of outside my home." she says, all business.

Swift takes her hand off Nari's head and turns to look, not surprised much by the stiff introduction. Nari does as well, thinking it would be easy to play tricks on such a serious person... but perhaps not very wise given the whole dark magician vibe she's getting. Sora gives a big smile and stands up to shake Amber's hand and says, "Well met! I am Sora Takashiro, paladin of Olidammara. This is Swift, a skilled tracker from a big city I'd never heard of before" she indicates Swift and Swift in turn gives a smile with a bit of a smirk at Sora having either already forgetting the name or pretending to. "And this little one is Nari a druid and Kitsune." She continues, finishing in a way that puts stress on that last word.

Amber shakes Sora's hand and raises an eyebrow at the word, having never heard it before. Nari see's this and says, "My kind are foxes and faerie both. We're quite familiar with civilized places and like all kinds of folk, so there's no need for concern." She smiles.

Sora gives a bit of a laugh and adds, "Yes, they like folk. Just happens to be they like them because they love playing pranks on them. Not all of which are ones their victims find particularly amusing."

Nari gives a shrug and gives Sora a somewhat displeased look, "Not all of us are like that. Some are divine messengers. And I'm here for neither purpose."

Amber takes this in while she goes to sit down next to Sora, then asks, "And what purpose would that be?"

"I'm looking to see the world and go on grand adventurers like your kinds all do." Nari replies kind of quietly but also with enthusiasm, as if she's both a bit embarrassed but excited at the same time.

"Ah, of course." Amber replies at about the same time Swift and Sora reply, "Of course." "Of course." They all share a laugh at this and, the group finally assembled, Sora orders some drinks and food to celebrate their meeting.

They chat a bit while they eat. Sora mainly asking about what adventures they've had, Amber asking about their skills and capabilities, Swift asking about the places they've come from and seen, and Nari being somewhat uncomfortable with Swift petting her and mostly letting the others direct the flow of the conversation and nicking a piece of food off of someone's plate when she thinks they're distracted a couple times.

When they're done eating and drinking (just enough to go with the food, not enough to get drunk), Amber approaches Erky Timbers, with her Keg of ale, and inquires whether he's heard of her ales and if he'd be interested in purchasing her latest brew dubbed, "Elfslayer." Swift finds the name hilarious, Nari smiles at Amber appreciating that the serious dwarf does indeed have a sense of humor, and Sora laughing along with them.
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Thu May 26, 2016 6:13 pm

The gnome grins as Amber approaches him. "Of course I've heard of the Darkbrews, what kind of a tavern master do you take me for?" He pulls out a mug and gestures for her to put the keg onto the bar. He stands somewhat taller than you at the moment, but it'd probably be fair to assume that the floor is elevated behind the bar to put him around human height. "Mind if I get a taste first? Your family's reputation might precede you, but I've met a few too many people to take a barrel without a second glance."

Amber warns him about the strength of the ale, but the gnome waves her off with a chuckle as he pours himself a half cup. "Hey now, I'm not that much smaller than you. And unless you've mixed in some dragon scale, I don't think this'll be strongest drink I've had yet." He gives the ale a sniff, swishes it about in the mug a moment, does all those things becoming of someone who knows who to gauge ale, and finally drinks it. He hmms and haws for a moment before speaking up. "That's a well crafted product you got there, exactly what I'd expect from a Darkbrew. Yeah, I'd stock this; how much you looking for it?"

Money stuffs:
Alright, so food costs. I'm going to try not to be a particular stickler about things like this, but also I really like following rules. :I
So below are costs for the meal you're currently going through. Not sure what level of finery your people are eating at, but here's what's being offered. Price of wine is already folded into that, unless someone's going a lot harder at it than you made it seem.
Poor meal: 50 cp
Modest meal: 1 sp
Comfortable meal: 2 sp
Wealthy meal: 3 sp

Ale is generally 2 sp per gallon, and a barrel can hold 40 gallons and costs another 2 gp by itself. So that tells me that an okay ale should sell for around 3-4 gp.
A fair price to ask for this particular keg would probably be around 5-7 gp, or if you want to particularly mark your wares up you could go higher than that. Might have to start making haggle checks tho. You could also enter into like, business negotiations if you have a way to provide a steady supply of it while you're not adventuring, I guess.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Thu May 26, 2016 7:23 pm

Amber suggest 7 gp for the ale "only because word of it's quality hasn't had time to spread yet" and she's hoping the gnome will help make sure it does by selling it as if he'd bought it for at least 9.

Spoiler:

Sora orders four wealthy meals for the group in celebration of their meeting. Amber mentally notes to not let Sora be in charge of all expenditures.

Done with their business here at the moment, the group discusses how they want to proceed. They decide on taking their time so they can visit the other places rather than spending all their time in the wilderness since it doesn't seem like there's a terribly high chance anyone is going to beat them to the fallen star if nobody has already. It helps that none of the goal as little more than an excuse for the journey. They chart an idea for a course in a few minutes and decide they might as well start their "storybook style adventuring" right here. So they head over to the home of the local lord to see if they have any tasks the need doing.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Mon May 30, 2016 9:57 pm

Erky agrees to the trade, pulling out the gold coins from underneath the bar. He calls someone out from the kitchen to move the keg to storage and adds "Elfslayer ~ Darkbrew" onto a chalkboard listing the varied foodstuffs the tavern offers. He also gives you some such farewell involving Olidammra and returning to see friends.

Outside, it's a pleasant day! The sun shines; birds are singing; there's no screams in the distance. Everything seems pretty good, as far as you can tell.

Mirath Tendle's home is relatively easily to find. This section of the Bell is relatively flat, and while his house is technically the highest point of the city (excepting the towering cathedral of course,) it's only that by the barest minimum. It's not an especially impressive house, seeming like a slightly taller and fancied up version of the other houses around here.

A lone guard stands near the open door, who eyes your group warily as they approach but doesn't make any moves to stop you. He's probably part of the local group of armed persons who keep the town peaceable and protected, also known as a town guard. You can hear people moving about and conversing lightly inside, but any specific words that might be being used is lost in the general sounds from the market just down the way. The market's just noisy, it doesn't sound like there's an outcrying for help at the moment or anything.

Do you interact with the guard, or proceed inside, or do some other third thing?
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Mon May 30, 2016 10:02 pm

The group proceeds inside after Sora greets the guard with a cheerful, "Good day!"
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Tue May 31, 2016 2:28 pm

The guard seems slightly comforted by Sora's geniality, but is still pretty on edge about the group of infernal- and fey-touched strolling in.

Inside the house is a spacious, decorated, wood-floored room. Wooden columns with curtains separate sections into 'rooms,' but for a the moment they're all pulled back to allow for a single large area. A staircase stands along one wall, providing access to the upper floor, and in one corner of the house a desk sits, covered with papers and surrounded by cabinets. Windows throughout let in daylight, and candles strewn about, unlit, on the floor and on desks and cabinets.

At the desk sits a middle-aged man in nice dress, engaged in friendly conversation with another guard, this one somewhat older and more grizzled than the younger man outside. They're discussing the recent non-stormy weather and their general pleasure with it.
As you enter they turn to face you, and as most of your group is accustomed to they visibly tense up. The man behind the desk waits for a moment, before managing, "Y-yes? Is there...can I...help you?"

There's nothing explicitly saying "THIS IS MIRATH TENDLE," but that'd be a reasonable assumption.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue May 31, 2016 2:35 pm

Sora replies, "We were wondering if the lord here had any..... tasks that they currently can't handle with their forces or would wish to resolve indirectly or need or want outside agents to perform possibly for some amount of payment."

Nari cocks her head to the side puzzled and thinks for a moment and then asks Sora, "Why didn't you just say we're adventurer's looking for quests?"

Sora chuckles at this while Swift sighs and Amber thinks about actually answering the question but doesn't as she notes this isn't really the time or place.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Tue May 31, 2016 3:16 pm

The well-dressed man seems surprised by this. He gives the guard a quick look, which is just met by a shrug. "Oh! Uh...I don't...believe so? Uh...if you really want something to do, I can check some older requests? If you could just show Liam here your license I'm sure there's something back in here." He begins rifling through the loose papers on the desk, until apparently not finding anything useful there and checking a cabinet behind him.

The guard looks at the group and picks up the slack in conversation Mirath created. He very casually asks, "So, you're adventurers, huh? Are you fresh to the region, or has Wernstrum started licensing devil-touched now too?"

The Bronze Ring would have provided you with some information on each of the areas, which I should have provided you with beforehand. Sorry.
Wernstrum:
The area managed by Wernstrum is strangely intensely bureaucratic, with licenses signed by Wernstrum himself required for your ability for that particular activity to be recognized by most people in that region. It's become something that the general people self-regulate, a certain prestige coming with being licensed and working only with other licensed. There's even benefits for being a licensed 'thief.'
Unlike other systems you might be thinking of, it's actually relatively easy to get licenses. Wernstrum has so far seemed fairly content to accept people as whatever they want to be, as long as they are willing to accept the system and play their part. It's seemed to work so far, with the amount of unregulated incidents severely decreasing since its implementation, and even the regulated incidents are down.
Wernstrum also has some kind of lingering feud with Vercent. The details on this are oddly vague, there not really being a specific thing that people point to as being why they bicker, they just sort of...do. It's mostly just bickering and an extra tax on trade between the two; there's been no open aggression between them.

There's nothing strictly preventing non-humans from getting licenses from Wernstrum, the guard's statement is probably just some personal prejudice.
Blood Moon:
As a note, I've mentioned the Blood Moon a couple of times, but I don't know that you actually know what I'm referring to, besides a night when the moon turns red and ooh spooky. First, the world of Greyhawk has two moons, Celene and Luna. Celene goes through a full cycle basically every three months, and Luna's cycle in exactly a month. The way the calender is set up, they're in the same positions on the same day, each year. It's nice.
There's exactly one day when both moons are full, Coldeven 11 (basically March,) and it's referred to as the Blood Moon Festival due to the reddish hue they both take on. It's also called the Blood Moon Festival because of the outpouring of devils and monsters from the woodwork that occurs at the same time. No one's really sure where they come from, or why they're tied to the two moons being full, but on that night monsters of all kinds show up and wreak general havoc. This happens everywhere in Greyhawk, this isn't something specific to the region. It's a major part of why tieflings are generally prejudiced against; every year devils (along with other things) show up and make a real mess of stuff, and people see tieflings being visibly similar to the devils and...aren't super happy to see them. The cities are walled to try and keep out devils and monsters from that day in particular, and farms generally aren't worked at all until after that night's passing.
Have thing now, will move this section to the OOC as well as add parts for Vercent and Thornside later
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue May 31, 2016 4:13 pm

"We're all new to the region, only heard about the whole license thing when we got here. I did have a license as a bounty hunter back where I'm from, but you'll have to take my word on that as I didn't see any point on bringing the paperwork from a different country with me." Swift replies, without any hint she even noticed the prejudice as it's just a thing she was already used to and has learned to get around by just being good enough at what she does.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:37 pm

The man behind the desk stops his search rather abruptly, sitting back up to face you. "Oh! Oh. Uh...well, in that case, uh, I can't offer you an official request for local help, but uh, I can however offer a uh...uh...registration exercise! That's the word!" He reaches under the desk and pulls out a few scrolls, which he holds out to you. "Just uh...look those over, and whichever you are particularly inclined to follow just...y'know, do. They're all uh...officially sanctioned, of course, you can see Wernstrum's seal at the top." After you accept the scrolls, he gestures to some seating nearby along the wall, if you'd like to sit and mull the choice over. He also seems like he'd enjoy just a bit of space.
Liam, as the guard has been named, just sort of leans against the wall. He doesn't seem too worried about you, carrying a confidence that he might be able to take several of your group by himself, but does seem somewhat anxious about your whole traveling together. Not gonna make you make an Insight check for any of that.

The scrolls read on one side, in large letters, "Group Licensing Exercise: Adventurers, #" and then they're numbered 1 through 3. A symbol of some kind sits just below this, stamped in red ink. It's geometric, and strictly speaking an equilateral triangle with a circle around one of the corners, but it's somehow reminiscent of the sun either rising or setting just behind the pinnacle of a mountain.

Seems you have a few options in going about obtaining a license, if that's what you'd like to pursue.
Group Licensing Exercise: Adventurers, #1:
Combat capability!
Show your ability to wield a weapon and defend yourself in the wild!
-
There's a procedure listed on seeing the local guard captain and going through some kind of training program, beating up dummies and such. The local guard captain will stamp the scroll on your completion of the training. Then you take the stamped scroll to Wernstrum proper and you should recieve a license.
The local guard captain is listed as being Liam Arnsall. It'd probably be a safe bet it's the guard in front of you.
Group Licensing Exercise: Adventurers, #2:
Fetch quest!
Show your ability to locate important materials and successfully transport them to the appropriate persons!
-
There's a map of the local region with a big circled area. A description of a blue flower is provided, as well as an illustration, and the quest seems to consist of going to the area, getting the flower, and then bringing it to a licensed merchant from a list. There's even a map of the market in Fell's Edge and the expected names and locations of appropriate merchants. They'll stamp the scroll to show you've completed it, and then you bring the stamped scroll to Wernstrum proper and you should receive a license.
Group Licensing Exercise: Adventurers, #3:
Diplomatic Encounter!
Show your ability to speak with others and resolve problems without using weapons!
-
You're not sure that you can even call it , the thing's literally scripted. The instructions seem to boil down to 'go to any licensed merchant and go through the following dialogue with them.' There's a literal script for how the dialogue between you and that person is supposed to go. They're supposed to stamp it, then you bring it to Wernstrum proper to complete the 'quest.' Seems like you just have to go there and follow the script to accomplish this one.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:48 pm

The group takes a bit to look over the options and takes a step back while they read and discuss. The consensus was that option 3 is so easy it's insulting yourself just to take it, option 2 seemed also too easy to really be proving anything, which leaves them with option 1 which isn't really what anyone wants to do, but at least doesn't seem like they were insulting their own capabilities.

Swift walks back over and says, "We could almost certainly accomplish any or all of these, maybe even at the same time, but we'll just go with option one since it's the only one that seems like it would actually be proving anything at all." and hands over the scrolls, holding scroll 1 in her right hand to make sure that's the one they know she's talking about.
The others nod along with this, though Amber does raise an eyebrow at the idea of doing them all at once.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:18 pm

The man behind the desk accepts the other scrolls from you, sliding them back underneath quickly. The words 'scroll one' don't seem to mean much to him besides 'one of the scrolls.'

"O...kaaaay? Is there...anything else you wanted? There's not a lot I can...uh...actually do for you, since you're entirely unlicensed, uh, but I could...point you in the right direction for whatever exercise you chose I guess?" He leans back and looks at something in front of the desk on his side, before straightening again with a still somewhat nervous smile, "Yeah, yeah, I could direct you."
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:35 pm

"The combat one." Swift says flatly and looks over to Liam Arnsall.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:58 pm

The middle aged man also slowly looks to Liam, and unsurely states, "I...guess you need Liam for that then? I haven't...read those." He turns back to you, somewhat embarressed, "Or, I have! I've just read...so many scrolls. I don't remember...what's involved in one particular licensing exercise that doesn't get asked for too often."

The guard seems somewhat less than pleased at the group's choice. He states very flatly, "I'm on duty here."

"Oh, that's true," He thinks very briefly, seeming to seek for an answer, before bringing up, "But! Uh...we could, y'know, move somethings around, and you could go ahead and do whatever's required of you for their licensure. Just uh...send Ronald in here, and then Sam can take Ronald's post, and I'll deal with the logistics of that." He pulls some fresh paper off a stack, picks up a nearby quill and scribbles on the sheets at a blistering speed. He then quickly stamps them, rolls them up, and holds them out to Liam.

Liam stares at Mirath Tendle for a moment longer, before grabbing the scrolls and briskly walking towards the entrance of the house. He calls to your group, "We'll need to go to the guard grounds so I can stamp your thing." As he passes the guard outside, Liam pushes a scroll onto him without stopping. The guard fumbles with it momentarily before unrolling it and reading it briefly as Liam continues into the town. He mumbles something along the lines of 'could've just told me' as he passes your group in the doorway.

If you'd like to do or anything other than quietly follow behind Liam, now would be the time. Otherwise we'll just jumpcut to guard grounds.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:24 am

With but a consolatory look to Ronald as you pass him, follow after Liam. He moves pretty quickly towards the market area, peering back only once or twice to make sure you're following. The guard post is relatively close by, though you still have to circle around part of the market to get there. The merchants' cries are much more audible at this distance, and you can hear them calling out their goods.
Merchants:
Besides the normal general shop supplies, there's:
Some guy calling out stuff about Ron James's Spell Palace. Might be a purveyor of magic or whatever.
Something about some kind of dwarven-forged something
Something something one-of-a-kind treasures from the Deep Dark Keep
Something something honey mead
You're not sure that guard post is the correct word for this place. It looks an awful lot like a normal building that was arbitrarily decided to be where the guards live and train and such, with a small yard set up with archery targets and training dummies that have seen a lot of use and re-leathering. A somewhat dirty young man in leather armor meets Liam at the door, before promptly being pushed the second scroll and moved bodily out of the way as Liam continues into the building without breaking stride. The somewhat dirty young man takes a moment to read through the scroll, before straightening himself a bit and starting the way you just came. Liam returns from inside after just a moment, you're barely able to get to the door before he meets you coming back out, a scroll in one hand occupying his attention and a wooden stamp in the other. He continues to be very unenthused about your whole 'wanting to be licensed' thing. He mumbles as he scans his scroll, "blah blah show competence blah program listed below or by approved blah blah. Right, so one of you smack the dummy over there with your weapon and another of you shoot an arrow in the general direction of the target. If I was t' give you advice, I'd say forget the license and go adventure somewhere else in the Bell. But I'm just as happy to stamp yer scroll so long as it gets you out of my hair."
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:35 am

Finally realizing that no matter what they picked they were just going through the motions, each does their best to not destroy the dummys or targets.

Sora smacks a dummy with her glaive, Swift tries not to break the arrow she fires at a target, Nari casts magic stone and tries to lob the stone at a target as gently as possible while still making a solid thwack noise, and fires as low powered a ray of frost at a dummy as she can.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Despite not putting much effort into the attempts, the groups' attacks are still incredibly impressive!

Sora's glaive bodily smacks the dummy, a cloud of dust launching out from it as it topples back! The face of the dummy bows inward now, her blow clearly having a strong effect on the inner supports of the dummy.
Swift's arrow flies easily into the target, impacting in the ring just outside the bulls-eye! She didn't want to show off too much. The arrow is recoverable, the training target being made with the intention of arrow reuse.
Nari's magic stone makes a resounding 'thwack!' as it smacks into a dummy! The blow leans it back, but it comes back to standing after a moment, the sandbags at its base managing to stabilize it.
Amber's ray of frost strikes yet another target, making a satisfying 'Kscchh' noise as ice crystals form on the dummy.

Liam is somewhat surprised by the group's skill, that despite without really trying they're still doing an incredible job of smacking up the dummies. He pauses for a moment, before saying, "That'll...that'll do then. I'll stamp yer thing so you can get on with yer thing. Surprised yer coming to Wernstrum for work though. Aside from th' hell of a time the Blood Moon brings, things stay pretty quiet around here."
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:38 pm

"Actually we're just sort of passing through while we work on that whole fallen star thing, but it doesn't hurt to earn some coin and lend a helping hand as we go about it." Sora says.

Nari adds, "And it's not a proper adventure if we don't do quests."

And Swift adds to that, "And I didn't cross the sea just to pass up the opportunity to see new sights and take in the local culture."

Amber just shrugs.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:08 pm

Liam stamps your scroll, fulfilling what obligation he has. "Well, I suppose we'll appreciate what you can do for us then. Cuthbert's blessings on your travels." He waves you off and moves into the guard building, not bothering to close the door behind him.

St. Cuthbert is a deity of justice, basically. You could roll religion or really just ask if you want more information about him.
What would you like to do? You could start heading towards Wernstrum proper to finish out your 'quest,' go see what they've got for offer in the market, check out the cathedral to Wee Jas...you could go talk to Liam some more I guess? Whatever you want to get involved in.

Last edited by quietkal on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:18 pm

The group goes to check out the market.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:27 am

The market's pretty busy, with more than a couple of people walking between stalls or towards the port at all times. They're mostly humans, but periodically you notice a dwarf, elf, or gnome in the groups around each stall.

There's not any kerfuffles in the market at current, but you could do something to change that.
There's a number of stalls that might interest you, and in no particular order they are:
An lime-haired elf tends a well decorated stand, covered in bottles and seeming an extension from the building behind it. A sign prominently displays "Ron James's Spell Palace." He calls out things like "Spells for wizards of all levels!" and "Ask about our bottle return program!"

A clanging rings out from the side of a building, a dwarf working at a forge slightly off from the main pass of the market. It's tough to make out much about them without entering their little area, but you can see that they have a number of weapons and armors on display, as well as locks and other such things.

A muscular human maybe in his twenties stands in front of a wagon, a number of large weapons prominently on display. Well, technically they're mostly medium, but there's also more than a few weapons that seem to be meant for large or larger wielders. The man seems like he's currently engaged in casual conversation with a young lady, seeming to just be passing the time at the moment.

A human male that looks suspiciously like a pirate crewhand stereotype has a stand set up, with a number of knick-knacks and trinkets of dwarven make. He calls out stuff like, "Passage to the Deep Dark Keep! Or if you travel isn't your thing, I've brought the Keep to you!"

An older human male, maybe in his fifties, has a stand set up with bottles of some substance, as well as jars of what's probably honey. He calls out stuff like "Honey, fresh from the hive! Good for what ails you!" and "Mead, a good drink for when you want to take it easy but can't make it back to town!"

An older human woman, maybe in her fifties, has a stand set up with a couple of fruit and vegetable types on display, but even in regards to that doesn't seem to have much to offer. This isn't terribly surprising, her having anything at all at the time when fields are just being prepared for seeds is pretty nice.

In addition, a pair of human children have a small, cobbled-together stand. They have some sort of yellow drink that seems to be their provided service. A price of 1 copper is displayed prominently, as well as drawings of a glass filled with the yellow drink and lemons. It's lemonade. It's a lemonade stand.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:56 am

Nari goes over to check what in particular the elf is selling. Mostly by getting her face way too close to things.

Amber walks over to the human shouting about her home and examines what he's up to, fully expecting cheap knockoffs.

Swift goes over to the man selling the large weapons partially to check out the weapons for anything out of the ordinary (like randomly has some magical or adamantine weapon or such), but mainly to find out why he's selling oversized ones.

Sora goes over to the lemonade stand and kneels down so she's around face level with the kids and asks, "Now what kind of marvelous beverage have you young wizards brewed up?" in a very friendly chipper tone.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:39 am

Nari & Ron James (Arcana 21)
The elf smiles as he notices the kitsune approaching and waves her towards his wares. In a very anachronistic manner, he welcomes Nari with a, "Yo yo yo! Welcome back! With ears like that you've gotta be a return customer, satisfied as always and coming back for more of Ron James' mad skills! Well don't worry yourself none, Ron James is loaded to the bizoobles with fresh spells for ya! You know what kind you're looking for? Or you just bringing ol' Ronny J his bottle back?"
The bottles are all sorts of shapes, sizes, styles, and shades...of color, but they're also all firmly clasped shut. Nari hasn't heard of this particular practice before, but it seems like he's applied a similar method as how scrolls work to these bottles, storing actual spells inside until they're presumably opened and the spell is released. A couple of guesses from the styling of the bottles leaves Nari pretty confident that she can pick out bottles containing things like Leomund's Tiny Hut, Cure Wounds, Fog Cloud, Moonbeam, and of course the classic, Fireball. This is only a very small portion of the spells being proffered by Ron James; there's a number more types of bottles that Nari doesn't immediately connect to a spell.

Amber & the...pirate?
The man, despite juggling haggling with a customer and also continuing to call out things to the market in general, notices Amber approaching and she gets the impression that he recognizes that Amber is a DDK dwarf. Not in the sense that the two have personally met, he just recognizes her style as being reminiscent of the location. While continuing to haggle with the other customer, he flashes Amber a viper's smile and says, "Looking for something from home? I've got goods from all of the best vendors in the Keep! Maybe this, an onyx-inlaid band, from <some dwarf, you recognize their work as being pretty good quality>? The onyx was pulled from the Deep Dark as well, see how despite being smoothed and shined no light bounces from it!"
He's not haggling the other person into unreasonable territory for whatever item they're asking for, but you still recognize it as a relatively high markup.

Swift & the Weapons Cart (Investigate 15)
The man gives the tiefling an acknowledging nod and glances at her periodically, but otherwise continues his conversation with the young lady. They seem like they're friends. At this closer distance, Swift notices that the man is wearing a chainlink necklace that has been bronzed, which is not necessarily a signifier of the Bronze Ring but it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination. It could also be confirmed or denied by just asking.
The weapons are a mix of human and giant forged, the oversized or actually large weapons in particular being of giant make. All of the weapons seem to be of fairly high quality, but the giant forged stand even above that. You think they might have been enhanced somehow, but without actually holding one and swinging it you can't make a guess as to what exactly their have been instilled with.

Sora & the kids
The two, a boy and a girl of about 12-ish, are, for lack of a better phrase, filled with wonder at the blue-skinned woman that has approached them. They grin and 'ooh' and 'aww' and 'whoa!' as Sora approaches. The girl giggles at Sora's line, before saying, "It's the best lemonade in Wernstrum; all of the guards come and have a glass when they go on break! Only a copper if you'd like a cup!"
A small bowl with maybe 12 cp in it sits on the stand, as well as a glass pitcher of the yellow drink and several goblets. You get the impression there's space under the stand as well, where they might be storing more of the drink or just other stuff.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:00 am

Confused while also having her strange style of analyzing things work out a lot better than she'd hoped, Nari delays for time while she thinks of how to respond to this weirdo.... by putting her face up close to his face. This involves some minor amount of pulling herself up over the stall. After what would probably be a really long awkward moment for anyone else she asks, "So how much are....these all.... with the..... return customer discount?" She quickly adds, "Sorrynobottle." and before he can actually respond to her first questions asks, "Got anything special?"

Amber waits for the man to conclude his current business and inspects his wares. When they're alone she asks, "How did you acquire these? I don't recognize you as an official trading partner." Of course she's leaving out that she wouldn't have an amazingly high chance of doing so as that's not really her business.
((Investigation: 14 + 7 = 21.
Insight (for his reply): 13 + 2 = 15.))

Realizing their chat isn't going to stop anytime soon, Swift interrupts the pair with, "So what's the deal with this giant forged stuff?"

"The lemons needed your aid? Why you must be the most brilliant little wizards in all the lands! I'll surely be glad to reward such efforts. And even more glad if you'd share the tale." Sora replies with cheer, glad the children are friendly instead of being scared, and she puts a copper piece in the bowl.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top