Root of Evil OOC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Root of Evil OOC

Post  quietkal on Thu May 19, 2016 3:43 pm

That's right, I even gave this one a name separate from "Library of Despair: the Prequel, part 2: the Rebegin-enning"
Probably not going to need this as a topic other than setting info, given that we have skype chat, but I suppose it can't hurt to have it.

Details!
This is a pbp game using 5e DanD I put together for ramsus to solo after bailing on a different game that I put together for ramsus to solo, which incidentally was after bailing on another game that I put together for ramsus to solo. But this one actually looks like it'll happen, given that I've made this and I have things to get into written for it. Not creating the actual game thread yet, as I feel like there's still some details for the two of us to iron out first.

Our game is set in the world of Greyhawk, but far from the main goings ons; deep in the Ocean of Storms is a large landmass called “Rahl,” which looks suspiciously like a dragon and has been called by what many consider to sound oddly like a sentient being’s name. But that is a thought for later. We zoom in to a small area called “the Bell,” a peninsula surrounded by the Crescent Sea to the South, East, and West. The Crescent Sea opens into the greater Ocean of Storms through an area called “Rahl’s Mouth,” which is where our game centers around.

The Bell is a mostly forested area, settled in a few small collectives by humans along rivers, and by dwarves in the great Mortem mountain range on the Southeastern corner. The dwarves have been settled in their keeps for centuries, mining the range and investigating the secrets it keeps buried so deep that only the dwarves could find it, but the predominantly human civilization has only been 'developed' for somewhere on 200-300 years. In that time they’ve been very industrious, and several colonies for lack of a better word have sprung up around particularly prosperous families. Two rivers cut through the area: the Swiftwater to the north, running due east; and the Ghave to the south, running west out from deep in the Mortem Mountains.
In addition, it’s pretty definite that the Feywild makes connections to this plane in the deeper parts of both forests, the Great Wood and the Old Wood. Wanderers who go deep into the forest sometimes come back with tales of the absurd, and occasionally don't come back at all.
Names of things:
Greystone, city in the far northwest
Clearbrooke, city in the northeast just north of the Swiftwater. Northeast corner of the box.
Swiftwater, the river that runs from Greystone south and east past Clearbrooke
Vercent, city that's just north of the Ghave. West side of the box.
Wernstrum, city that's just south of the Ghave. East side of the box.
Thornside, city that's at the southeast edge of the box
Ghave, the river that runs from the Mortem mountains north and then west
Alperson, city where the Ghave opens into the western Crescent Sea
Kevitz's Passage, pathway allowing travel through the Mortem Mountains between Thornside and Obdlette
Obdlette, dwarven fortress in the western part of the Mortem mountains
Terranduul, dwarven fortress in the eastern part of the Mortem mountains, where the Ghave flows from. Also called the Deep Dark Keep.
The depicted area is called the Bell
The water surrounding the depicted area is the Crescent Sea

We start in the middle of the month of Flocktime (basically the last leg of spring,) when the weather is just starting to clear up from the constant rain that so often seems to accompany Planting (the month prior.) A star fell from the heavens several weeks ago into the Old Wood. Immediately following it came proclamations from each of the nobles in the region, that they would give a reward to whoever brought it to them. They each offered a substantial prize: a large sum of gold pieces, or a land title, or a masterfully made ship, but one option appeals particularly to your adventuring instincts. Veryn Thornside has offered, to the first group of 5 or fewer who bring him the star back, to let each of them look through his collection and take any single magical item of their choice. Now, you might be saying, “A month? Surely, someone has found it by now!”

You would be wrong. Many have ventured into the treacherous Old Wood, seeking to claim this prize; fewer returned with a shiny rock they thought was a star if they were lucky, and naught but their lives if they were somewhat less so. And so, seeking to collect this magical bounty, or simply interested in what’s out there, you’ve formed your party and ventured to the general area between Thornside, Wernstrum, and Vercent. Where precisely in this area you start and why is up to you.
Names of things:
Tarn
Ellent
Swiftwater
The Great Wood
Vren
Barrit
(cut off on the map, don't remember offhand)
Vercent
Grove's Passage
Porttown
Wernstrum
Narrit
Fell's Edge
Ghave
The Old Wood
Ehr's Respite
Bellest
Khall
Thornside
Kevits
Mortem mountains

Magic items for our stalwart adventurers (the correct ones)

The Copper Ring, a faction of gnomes and other 'unusual' races that are working for racial equality for themselves. Other details later, I guess

Kitsune run as a reskin of the Gnome race, with the addition of being able to use an action to shift between person-form and fox-form. Fox-form works like being in the form of a Cat through the Druid's Wild Shape ability.

Things for ramsus to do
✓ Glance over the setting
That last image and the two text blocks above it will be the most relevant out of all of the above biz, and admittedly I'm expecting most of this game to just kind of happen in the general area that is the Old Wood, but still I've got a world if you'd like to look at/ reference the rest of it at points.

✓ Create four level 4 characters with some amount of gold distributed between them
I don't remember how much gold it was, but if I recall it was a pretty decent amount and that I already approved it.

✓ Post links to character sheets you'll be using
Would be super appreciated. Think I've still got the old links, but just to make sure we're looking at the same people I'd really like it if you could do this.

✓ Give a short desciption of each person
For my own mental image of what's happening

✓ Ask questions! (politely, please)
If you're not sure about anything, or if something seems missing, or if you have thoughts on setting areas, I'd love to hear about it! I'm sure many, many things have fallen through the cracks.

- Other stuff???

Last edited by quietkal on Fri May 20, 2016 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Root of Evil OOC

Post  Ramsus on Thu May 19, 2016 11:09 pm

Characters
Swift (Tiefling Ranger)

Sure (Red Wolf, Animal Companion of Swift)

Sora Takashiro (1/4th Oni Paladin of Olidammara)

Nari (Kitsune Druid)

Amber Darkbrew (Dwarf Shadow Sorcerer)

Tendo (Awakened Tree)

Last edited by Ramsus on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:55 am

https://app.roll20.net/join/1746062/88nPdw
Link to the roll20 game, not sure that this is going to be a permalink though.
If in doubt, go to roll20.net, sign in, and it'll be the Root of Evil game

XP:
2700, started at level 4
+170, Immediately Ended the Sarren Rivalry (page 3)
+100, Got License! (page 5)

Last edited by quietkal on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Notes on your post
Ramsus wrote:Swift points out the traps to the party so they can avoid them and advises everyone to walk carefully anyway.
Cool, done and done. Passive bonus to noticing them.
Ramsus wrote:As Swift removes the armor and the clothes if they look like anything the group might like or if they look valuable (and wiping off the blood on some leaves), Amber will cast Mending on them.
You could probably find someone to buy the armor and clothes. Well, probably not in Wernstrum, not having a license yourself for vending armor, but somewhere else maybe. You might be able to get 30 gp for the pair, if you can find a good buyer.
Whether or not persons in your group want them is up to you.
Ramsus wrote:I'm a bit unsure on exactly what you mean about the other slip of paper. If it's wholly made up of some super brittle substance... well I don't even know how the guy was carrying it on him without it breaking apart. If you just mean it's coated in something which rubs off, I guess they'd try to rub it off with leaves to see if it reveals anything.
It's not a brittle substance, it's more like...like holding one of those old chalk erasers. The eraser itself isn't dispersing, it's just got some kind of material trapped all on it that's getting out. Rubbing it doesn't seem to reveal anything, just gets more of the black powder on...whatever you're rubbing it with.
Ramsus wrote:The language the tree speaks in is common because Nari, while a prankster, isn't a jerk who'd make a tree intelligent enough to talk to people and make it then unable to actually do so. She looks at the tree and attempts to determine what kind of tree it is. (Is this something that even requires a roll? It doesn't feel like it would. Seeing as it's just a regular tree in the same country she comes from.)
I mean, Sylvan would be just as likely a choice for an awakened tree to speak. Could speak to fey, dryads, naturally awakened trees, and other such types. This isn't to dissuade you from either language, just that you seem to think Sylvan a trash option and I'm informing you that's it's not. Or it's at least equally as trash as Common.
Doesn't require a roll, it's not some kind of unusual tree. Just your average everyday chestnut oak. It's increased in size somewhat from your awakening magic, but otherwise seems a healthy specimen.
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:26 pm

More lore that I should have put here but haven't!
Blood Moon Festival:
As a note, I've mentioned the Blood Moon a couple of times, but I don't know that you actually know what I'm referring to, besides a night when the moon turns red and ooh spooky. First, the world of Greyhawk has two moons, Celene and Luna. Celene goes through a full cycle basically every three months, and Luna's cycle in exactly a month. The way the calender is set up, they're in the same positions on the same day, each year. It's nice.
There's exactly one day when both moons are full, Coldeven 11 (basically March,) and it's referred to as the Blood Moon Festival due to the reddish hue they both take on. It's also called the Blood Moon Festival because of the outpouring of devils and monsters from the woodwork that occurs at the same time. No one's really sure where they come from, or why they're tied to the two moons being full, but on that night monsters of all kinds show up and wreak general havoc. This happens everywhere in Greyhawk, this isn't something specific to the region. It's a major part of why tieflings are generally prejudiced against; every year devils (along with other things) show up and make a real mess of stuff, and people see tieflings being visibly similar to the devils and...aren't super happy to see them. The cities are walled to try and keep out devils and monsters from that day in particular, and farms generally aren't worked at all until after that night's passing.
Wernstrum information:
The area managed by Wernstrum is strangely intensely bureaucratic, with licenses signed by Wernstrum himself required for your ability for that particular activity to be recognized by most people in that region. It's become something that the general people self-regulate, a certain prestige coming with being licensed and working only with other licensed. There's even benefits for being a licensed 'thief.'
Unlike other systems you might be thinking of, it's actually relatively easy to get licenses. Wernstrum has so far seemed fairly content to accept people as whatever they want to be, as long as they are willing to accept the system and play their part. It's seemed to work so far, with the amount of unregulated incidents severely decreasing since its implementation, and even the regulated incidents are down.
Wernstrum also has some kind of lingering feud with Vercent. The details on this are oddly vague, there not really being a specific thing that people point to as being why they bicker, they just sort of...do. It's mostly just bickering and an extra tax on trade between the two; there's been no open aggression between them.

There's nothing strictly preventing non-humans from getting licenses from Wernstrum, the guard's statement is probably just some personal prejudice.
Vercent information - to come
Thornside information - to come

Greystone information - please don't
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down