Makara IC

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:14 pm

And with that the group goes on their way, escorted back to the hole they first entered the ant hive from. On the way they again see people working the fields and moving around supplies and such. They then go down the path they went to get to the room they rested in and down the trap door (probably using a rope rather than the dangerously rusty ladder) and find themselves once again in front of blue-ish metal door that appears to have no mundane means of being opened.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1554
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:08 pm

Steam & Parveth
On the way, Steam attempts to make small talk with Adelinde and Ketha, trying to learn more of their history. If they're not interested in sharing, Steam offers to actually get into Part IV this time. Or if they liked the abridged version, for some reason, she can continue like that into Part II.

Parveth walks ahead, leading the group, keeping an eye out for things she might not have noticed last pass.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 751
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Ketha does not relinquish any more of her history as she marches towards the underground and probable death again...
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 837
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:09 am

"Wait! No! I know what we can talk about! Parveth and Zanthaelis! Potential couple, yay or nay?!"

"Nay. He was being condescending when he called me 'dear;' it was not a sign of affection. He seems pleasant enough still; I do not hold it against him. I continue to be uninterested in your attempts to set me up, however."

"I don't buy that! I vote yay! You'd be cute together, I think. Both of you just, heavy sighing at Char and I's antics. And you seem like you could like, hang out with him. Y'know, doing like...normal things?" She seems unsure what those normal things might actually be.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 751
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:25 pm

"Do not forge relationships with our captors." Ketha's tone balances friendly advice and commanding answer to Steam's question...
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 837
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:48 pm

"It's a bit late for that, to be honest. Also, we should maintain some amount of relationship with them, what with the whole 'them sending us on quests into the deadly, deadly ruins' thing we're doing. I mean, unless you're planning on bugging out of here."
She gives Ketha a wry smile and leans a little closer to her. "Are you...are you making that plan?"
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 751
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:38 am

"I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over leaving this place far behind me." she says with a huff

She walks in silence for a while until they reach the door. She flicks her tail as she considers it before suddenly realizing something and snapping her fingers, causing the little unicorn familiar to reappear in her hands and promptly hugging it close to her chest.

"...and I do hereby declare that Wednesdays shall...be....oh no, not this dream again! It's so....dirt-y!! I didn't even have any grapes before bed last niiiiight!"

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 367
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:20 am

"Well, I'm not saying I'm for, but also I'm just happy to go where the wind takes me."
Steam strikes a pose as they approach the door, dramatically pointing at it. "I had a bit prepared for when we got here, but I just forgot it," she intones with unnecessary seriousness.
She casts the spell on the scroll at the door.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 751
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:36 am

As the spell finishes, the door makes some whirring noises and then opens to reveal a room made of a similar metal. It's not particularly large, maybe ten feet square. Against the far wall is a rather strange looking contraption. Very clearly some artificer's creation. It appears to mainly be some sort of connected boxes with several dials and levers on the front facing side and valves on the sides.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1554
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Ketha looks at all the contraption blankly. She is trained in several things, artificing is not among them. Despite that, she made one clear observation that needed to be said...

"Do not touch the machine, Steam," she ordered...
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 837
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:09 am

Steam freezes, having already approached the apparatus, her arm outstretched toward the various levers and valves. "But...look at all the things to touch on it..." Her hand playfully moves just a little closer.

Parveth eyes the machine, stepping towards it a bit as she studies it.

((Steam - Arcana: (9) = (7) +2))
((Parveth - Investigation: (23) = (19) +4))
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 751
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:28 am

Parveth notices a few thing. The first is that parts of the machine seem to connect down into the floor and wall and maybe to parts beyond the room. The second is an almost foot tall hidden compartment on the right side of the contraption, though the seams are so thin she'd need something less thick than a crowbar to pry it open and there doesn't seem to be any way to just open it up on the panel itself so it's probably controlled by the device. The third is another hidden compartment on the top right of the front of the contraption, this one much smaller and maybe squarish in shape and the seams are similarly thin and it's lacking a way to be opened. The fourth is that the device is so complicated looking that whatever it does either involves multiple things or something incredibly complex. The fifth is that it seems to be designed to obfuscate what it is or it's simply was designed with the assumption whoever was using it already knew what it did, as the dials just have numbers or pips and so on. The sixth is that the metal on one panel a little above the center seems to be a bit different than the rest of it (this panel being roughly a foot square). The seventh is that on the right side of the room there is some kind of hidden door or the like, again with seams so thin it would be difficult to open. And the final thing she notices is that there are very feint tremors coming from somewhere far beneath the room, it's unclear if it's just a general shaking of an area or something moving underground or something else.

Steam recognizes that the contraption is certainly magical. Artifice. Yup. It's actually pretty strongly magical too.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1554
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:25 am

List of things, reformatted:
1: Parts of the machine seem to connect down into the floor and wall and maybe to parts beyond the room.
2: An almost foot tall hidden compartment on the right side of the contraption, though the seams are so thin she'd need something less thick than a crowbar to pry it open and there doesn't seem to be any way to just open it up on the panel itself so it's probably controlled by the device.
3: Another hidden compartment on the top right of the front of the contraption, this one much smaller and maybe squarish in shape and the seams are similarly thin and it's lacking a way to be opened.
4: The device is so complicated looking that whatever it does either involves multiple things or something incredibly complex.
5: The device seems to be designed to obfuscate what it is or it's simply was designed with the assumption whoever was using it already knew what it did, as the dials just have numbers or pips and so on.
6: The metal on one of the panels, a little above the center, seems to be a bit different than the rest of it (this panel being roughly a foot square).
7: On the right side of the room there is some kind of hidden door or the like, again with seams so thin it would be difficult to open.
8: There are very feint tremors coming from somewhere far beneath the room, it's unclear if it's just a general shaking of an area or something moving underground or something else.
Parveth relays the information she figured out to the rest of the group, tracing a finger along the edges of the hidden panel and door. She gives them each a light push, to see if they just need a little pressure to pop open. With a look to Adelinde and Ketha, she says, "I do not suppose either of you has experience with artifice?" Her gaze lingers slightly on Adelinde, thinking her the potentially most likely of the group.
((Steam - Arcana: 9 = (7) +2))
((Parveth - History: 10 = (8) +2))


Last edited by quietkal on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 751
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:17 am

Neither the panels nor hidden door respond to being pressed.

((It also occurs to me that you guys might want to know about the weird blue metal that the contraption and room and door are made of and that if you do care, you can give me either a History or Arcana check for that.))
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1554
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:30 pm

"No," is the blunt answer...

(Arcana Check on Machine: 5 (Roll) + 4 (Skill) = 9)
(Arcana Check on Metal: 8 + 4 (Skill) = 12)
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 837
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:52 pm

((Rolling for Adelinde.
Arcana for artifice contraption: nat20 wtf + 4 = 24
History for metal: 10 + 6 = 16

If you wind up wanting to have used Bardic Inspiration to boost either of these rolls let me know, give me the roll, and I'll adjust.))

Ketha true to her words doesn't know anything about the device. Steam, Parveth, and Ketha can only tell that the metal is.... some kind of metal they don't know the name of.

Adelinde, being book smart, however recalls reading references to Blue Steel. Some kind of artifice made metal that's just stronger than regular steel. It's not referred to with the regard Elves have for Mithril or Dwarves have for Adamantine, but those are also both culturally important metals. So she doesn't know how it compares to those or other magic metals or materials. Nor does she know what properties it has in particular.

After studying the contraption for a while and piecing together bits of things she's read about and recognizing some conjuration magic from her mother's abilities and just getting a feel for the way the magic flows through the device as well as a lucky bit of hand placement on the device itself she figures out quite a bit.

The contraption is made to maintain binding on and control of multiple earth elementals below the room. The device is not in a fully functional state due to damage caused by the fallout of the way the magic of Kelfas has been damaged and warped. The various knobs and levers and the like control a variety of things, though the level of complexity is so high that even if the device were fully functional she'd would be 100% sure she would be able to operate it properly, though she could do some guesswork with a decent chance of getting it to do what it wants. The contraption has a variety of safety nets built in so the elementals don't go above the room and up into Kelfas and she can identify a specific one that ensures that if an elemental does somehow get free of it's binding it will be returned to the elemental plane of earth rather than be let loose on the natural world. The panel above the center of the device is a sort of magical sensor for "seeing" where the elemental are and what they're doing. Currently they're below the room in a fairly wide area just moving around in no particular pattern but limited to that area. The device can control the opening of the entry door and she believes she knows how to add the members of the group to be able to open it just by touching it, or adding a command phrase that would cause it to open, or disable the locking mechanism entirely so that anyone who came by could just push the door open. She knows which lever to pull and which knob to turn to open the smaller hidden compartment on the device and have it deliver two kinds of magical potions in vials. The first potion has something to do with enhanced darkvision, the second simply removes the effects of the first. It seems as if the contraption could make up to ten of each potion a day, but the first potion would lose it's effectiveness if not drunk within a day and the second within a week. She also knows which lever to pull to open the larger hidden compartment on the side of the contraption that houses some kind of limited remote control rod for the elementals bound to the device. She knows that the control rod can be used to open the hidden door which leads to a cylinder with an elemental bound to it specifically that can be raised up to this room (where it presently is) or moved around under the room. It seems that there is a default destination of straight down for quite a distance set for the cylinder, though anyone with the control rod could change the direction. Just like with the earth elemental control device, she's not 100% sure on how well she'd be able to control the elementals with the rod.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1554
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Adelinde hums as she walks up and inspects the machine, lost in thought for a moment as she examines the machine, tail flicking idly as she examines the various parts. After a moment she nods to herself and turns to regard the group arms folded across her chest as she taps at one of the bare metal panels with her tail to draw attention to it.

"Right, I think I have a good idea of what this all is. To begin with this room seems to be made of Blue Steel. It's a metal made through artificing that's stronger than regular steel, kinda like Mithril or Adamantine but not quite as...important I suppose? I don't know how well it actually measures up to those in terms of quality."

She jerks a thumb back towards the machine as she shifts her weight on her legs.

"Now as for this thing behind me, it's meant to do a number of things but probably the most important is that it's meant to bind, monitor, and control the pack of earth elementals currently shifting around under our feet." She says tapping her foot on the floor to emphasize it. "It's got a number of safety measures to make sure none of those elementals wander up into Kelfas proper."

She moves over to the smaller closed panel and lightly taps on it. "This here is for another of its' functions, making two different types of potions. One to improve ones ability to see in the dark, the other an antidote to the first. It looks like it can make about 10 a day, but the enhancing potion expires if not used within a day."

She moves over to the larger closed panel and taps on it as well. "This one is just a housing compartment for a control rod for the elementals. It also activates a hidden door that leads to a....not quite a crate... that has an earth elemental under it that can be used to carry things or people up and down through the dirt. It's currently set to go a fair distance down. What exactly is down there, I don't know."

She walks over to the entrance and gestures to it. "And lastly the device controls this door here. As in I can set it to recognize individual people, like us for example, who it will open for with just a touch. I could also set it to open with a particular password or just unlock it entirely."

She walks back over in front of the machine, leaning against an edge of it careful not to bump any of the controls. "It's a little worse for wear because of how the magic in Kelfas is warped, and some of it's a little too complex for me to be able to make a complete guarantee but I'm reasonably sure I can work any given one of the features I mentioned!" She finishes with a smile.

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 367
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:08 am

Steam looks at the floor excitedly and knocks on it gently. It's unclear what she hopes to receive as a response. "Whoaaaaa. That's so cool, how'd you know about all of that? You got one of these back home?"

Parveth listens intently, glancing over the device as Adelinde describes it. "Very impressive, Adelinde." She's genuinely impressed with Adelinde's knowledge; there's no hint of sarcasm or malice. She considers for a moment, before asking generally, "You mentioned one of the device's functions is that it can make a potion which provides vision in the dark, and then also the antidote to such a concoction? Might the dark sight potion be poisonous in some regard?"
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 751
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:46 pm

"Thank you!" She says with a stage bow before shaking her head as she leans back against the machine again. "No, nothing so direct as having seen one before. I..." she hesitates for a moment before sighing. "I was born as the third of four children of a noble family. Meaning I had access to quite the breadth of knowledge growing up, including a fairly extensive library. My understanding of this device is simply pieced together from a variety of topics I've studied and a little familiarity with conjuration and magic thanks to my mother." She says with a shrug.

She turns her attention towards Parveth before she taps a finger to her chin and hums. "As for the potion...I don't know why exactly an antidote is needed for it. It might have some poisonous effects, or it might just make bright places unpleasant. We'd have to examine the potion itself to find out, or just try it and see what happens."

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 367
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Ketha gives the blue steel a knock with the minor knuckle on her index finger. "We have learnt what it does. Now what?"
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 837
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:31 pm

"Now there's the question of the hour. Technically it's not unreasonable for none of us to have been able to figure out this machine, never mind find out about the elementals being set to take people down further. We could just turn around and call it mission complete here if we don't feel like exploring. But more than that, do we even turn this over as is? These people are bad enough with the elementals they already have. I'm in no rush to turn over control of a bunch of ancient earth elementals to them too."

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 367
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Parveth gives Adelinde a questioning sort of look, before saying with a sigh, "That...raises a point I have somewhat avoided thus far. Adelinde, you and Ketha seemed to have had a much...let's go with less positive encounter with the Boar's forces than mine and Steam's. I will not mince words, if you two wish to leave I will not stop you, but I cannot attend you from here until I have reclaimed my namesake. Not having the Boar's animosity will work greatly toward that end."

Steam just sort of freezes, unsure how to add to this.

"I raise this point now because you seem rather interested in hiding what we give to the Boar's forces. I would rather not, and felt we should resolve this difference before continuing. Hiding the existence of the machine would only raise suspicion unless we had something else suitable to have been found behind a magical door. Claiming it was empty seems unlikely to work; they would simply send some guards here and discover we had lied. Which would lead to unfortunate events for us and no actual deception of them. We could destroy the machine, and say that it had already been destroyed when we got here, but then we would have to trust Steam not to slip it out while chatting up with her pal. We could say we know not what the machine does, and cursory investigations bore no fruit, but they would just come and investigate it themselves then. If you have an option that would not either anger the Boar's forces, or be functionally equivalent to telling them but less beneficial for us, then please." She raises an open hand, as though she expected an item dropped into it.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 751
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:57 pm

"I have an idea," answers Ketha, "Pray that Erathis has not blessed this machine, and that it works no longer."
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 837
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Adelinde flicks her tail idly. "I was thinking more along the lines of dismissing most, if not all, of the elementals back to their plane myself. There's a specific safety feature for that in the machine so it's just a matter of trying to purposely trigger it. I'm sure Char could figure out how to summon her own if she really wanted to. But I'd be willing to bet they'd be much less effective than whatever someone from the age of Kelfas could conjure up. And if she's a little more exhausted if we DO end up having to flee, all the better for us."

She folds her arms with a slight huff. "If you all insist on just turning it over as is, or are so convinced that any attempt to mitigate just how dangerous a tool we'd be handing over would be so difficult to hide I won't say anything more on the subject. That IS why I asked after all, rather than just doing so without informing you."

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 367
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:26 am

Parveth nods slightly as Adelinde explains. "I do not have an issue with the concept of hindering them, but doing so such that we are not also hindered. Whatever we return with still must be viable enough to be considered a successful outing, and any signs of interference from us must be well hidden. What do you expect the trigger for the dismissal to be?"

Steam returns to a more normal standing posture, leaning against her trident. "And I can keep a secret! Probably. Maybe. It's possible she could compel me, but then all bets are out the window I guess. And friends don't compel friends. So everything should work out great!"
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 751
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum