Makara IC

Page 4 of 43 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23 ... 43  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:54 pm

Noting that the group seems ready to leave, Zanthaelis signals over a dragonborn man who is wearing some kind of uniform. It looks like it once it was white and blue, but the colors are pretty faded and the white is clearly nowhere near as white as it once must have been. Zanthaelis tells him that he's to take you to the farm to deal with the insect troubles. The man nods and leads the way, not saying a word to you.

You wind up walking for over three hours to the east. On your way you pass areas that have been mostly cleared or rubble and ones that haven't and the difference is pretty huge. Where the areas haven't been cleared the paths aren't roads or true paths at all but just whatever is the most convenient way to walk through the underbrush without going into any buildings, half of which look like they might collapse if you went inside and touched the wrong wall. Small animals and insects big and small (though none bigger than your fist) scurry here and there, mostly away from you as you pass. The architecture of some of the buildings would probably be interesting if you had the time to stop and examine them and if the elements and destruction hadn't worn away so much. You also pass close enough by one of the farms, where they appear to be growing vegetables, to see the slaves at work. Of course since they're farming it's somewhat hard to tell any real difference between this situation and regular farming. Aside from the armed men patrolling the area or giving instructions. You do see some people resting and you don't see any children or elderly being forced to do any of the harder labor, so at least you know they aren't being worked to death.

After passing by the blackened ruins of what looks like once might have been a library, you see another farm. The conditions are much the same here, except they're harvesting rice. Quite a lot of it, in fact. As you approach you realize you've likely reached your destination as you hear someone scream and see a giant ant (around the size of a man) enter your line of sight (it had been on the other side of the field from where you are) and quickly head for one of the nearest buildings, a simple two story affair that might have been a home or shop. There's no way you're going to make it to the building before it, which is a bit unfortunate since the building does not look to be in especially good shape.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1488
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:34 am

Parveth
The wood elf immediately breaks into a run toward the building the giant ant is approaching, attempting to follow the paths between rice paddies where she can without adding too much extra distance to her route and assuming that the others will also move to get nearer the creature.

Steam
The genasi watches Parveth head off, and pauses for long enough to wave a farewell to the dragonborn guard and jog after the wood elf. She looks for Adelinde and Ketha keeping pace with her as she goes, hoping they might be more open to small talk without the eye of the guard on them.
(Unless the guard is clearly already going after Parveth in which case disregard most of Steam's actions.)
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 700
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:01 pm

Ketha, having spent the time walking bonding with her new weapons, also sprints towards the ant...
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 821
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:58 pm

Adelinde follows the others after the ant.

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 348
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:30 pm

You follow after the giant ant and indeed it does head into the ruined building. You can't see what it does after that since you're still pretty far away when it does. When you get there, you can see (from outside) that there is a large hole in the center of the room that seems to be a tunnel underground.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1488
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:55 pm

Steam
The genasi grins slightly as Ketha and Adelinde keep pace, and with a bit of effort calls to them between breaths in an attempt to converse with them a bit. "So! That was interesting, huh? And now, we're already finding the thing! I love it, when one thing just leads, straight into another, no waiting or, mucking about involved! A bit much walking for my taste though!"

Parveth
The wood elf calls back to her in a much more even tone, "Be prepared for some waiting, we ought not rush into a hive flush."

On arriving near the building, Parveth slows, draws her bow, and begins moving slowly towards the seeming hive entrance, trying to make out anything that might be lurking inside the hole or just inside the building.
(She has darkvision.)
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 700
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:02 am

As far as Parveth can tell it looks clear, though it's not impossible something could lurk beyond her sight, though she doesn't recall ants being particularly prone to setting ambushes. Seems like it's a tunnel that somewhat steeply slopes down at least as far as she can see. It's certainly doesn't look man-made.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1488
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:35 pm

"We're finding a thing," clarifies Ketha, not slowing down. "More walking still to go."
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 821
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:25 pm

Parveth
The wood elf stops a short distance outside of the building and relaxes a bit, somewhat satisfied for the moment that the immediate area is safe. She glances back and forth between the entranceway and the rest of the group as they approach.

Steam
The genasi returns a disappointed 'blugh' to Ketha and, noticing Parveth waiting for them, slows her pace somewhat to start lagging behind the others. The quarter staff finds itself again into her hand, this time as a walking stick.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 700
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:01 am

Adelinde shivers slightly at the thought of following an  ant into its nest, which is surely swarming with more ants. "This is possibly the most disgusting 'thing' I've ever done."

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 348
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:58 am

Steam
"Walking on dirt under more dirt is the most disgusting thing you've done?" Steam whistles appreciatively, before casting a look into the hole. "Probably one of the nicer holes I've had the intention of going in, to be honest." She casts Create Bonfire, centered about 20' into the hole.
Spells and Questions:
Create Bonfire fills that 5' space with fire. Deals damage if something is where the fire spawns or if something decides to move through the fire instead of around it. Pretty sure it provides 20' radius of bright and another 20' dim beyond that, but I'm not 100% on that.
How steeply does the hole fall off?
Does it curve off sharply within vision or does to currently just seem to extend linearly to some distance beyond 60'?
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 700
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:24 am

Ketha inspects the ruined building and comments "I trust this building like wolves with chickens."
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 821
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:08 pm

The fire springs to life and suddenly you see....
Spoiler:

that the hole is part of a tunnel. It has a fairly steep incline. It doesn't look man-made. You can't see far enough to tell if it turns. There does not seem to be any reaction so either there are no creatures waiting in ambush or they aren't easily frightened.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1488
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:39 pm

Parveth
The wood elf gives a disinterested 'hmm' in response to Steam's comment about holes, before addressing the dragonborn and the tiefling. "We seem to have a moment, and your disinclination to converse earlier in front of the Boar and his men has robbed me of a chance to speak with you at any length. We should be outside the eye of the guard and beyond the ear of the fields, so I would like to get to know the people that will be watching my back when we, as Steam so gloriously put it, go into a hole. I do not expect to gain without sharing however, so I will open with myself.
I, again, am Parveth Xiloscient. I would prefer if you call me as such, but if you cannot pronounce my family name, then, again, Goldpetal is an acceptable translation. My family escaped from Kelfas when the orcs arrived and sieged it, but were unable to bring with them something important, our family heirloom in a sense. I am not interested in the riches buried here or the Boar's plan to rebuild. I have returned to Kelfas only to claim that which is named mine."

Steam pipes in, "I'm helping!"
Parveth gives her an acknowledging, possibly grateful nod before continuing, "I am skilled at close and ranged combat, but as you can see I am not heavy-set, and rely more on avoiding attacks than toughing through them. As the Boar brought up at the camp, I do have some skill with magic. Notably, I have a healing magic at my command, though it tires me greatly and as such I cannot make use of it too frequently."
Parveth reaches into her pouch and grabs the healing potions, holding out one to each of them. '"You will need these if I cannot reach you myself. Steam I can rely on hovering nearby myself at most times, if not lounging somewhere in relatively safety." She pauses again, briefly, before continuing, '"I am...sorry, that this is the situation you find yourselves in. It is clearly not what you wanted from the Ruins."
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 700
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:19 pm

As Parveth talked and talked, Ketha inspected the building closer...

(Perception Roll: 10 (Roll) + 4 (Skill) = 14)
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 821
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Ketha doesn't think the building will collapse if they enter it, but they probably shouldn't go around kicking the walls.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1488
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:47 am

Adelinde takes the potion and considers it for a moment before sighing and speaking quietly, though still clearly enough to be heard by those around her. "My apologies Miss Xiloscient, I haven't exactly been in the most talkative mood lately. My Name is Adelinde. And as that woman said earlier I am trained as a Bard, though I wasn't lying when I said I was a scholar. Though I've been well trained in the use of weapons and magic in addition to my more intellectual pursuits I admit that I've never actually had to use that training in anger before save the occasional simple beast on a hunt. I'm capable of some healing magic myself along with some offensive, supportive, or more...eccentric spells." She says diplomatically with a shrug. "I found some antitoxin as well while gearing up though it's just the one bottle. If anyone needs it just let me know."

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 348
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:35 pm

Ketha looks at the group as they finish going into detail about who they are and what they do. She takes the bottle offered to her and replies "Thank you. I am Drachedandion Ketha. I am... 'Wizard Knight'. I will protect you." She then points towards the large hole with her greatsword. "Shall we enter this way, or find another?"
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 821
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:19 pm

Steam & Parveth
The genasi gives a slight wave to the rest of the group and smiles great big. "Hi! I'm Steam; you can call me Steam, but I'm totally open to cool nicknames. I like moonlit walks and completely ignoring magical theory. In fights, I use magic to go like," She dismisses the bonfire and casts Prestidigitation, creating small sparks from her fingers as she points them like guns at Parveth. Parveth stands still and lets the sparks bounce off her before fizzling. "pew pew pew! Except they'll be...big. And really sting. Pew." She fires one last spark at Parveth. The wood elf grabs this one with her hand and crumbles it gently. She addresses the two, before responding to their statements in turn. "I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Adelinde and Drachedion Ketha. I am also pleased to hear that I am not the only healer. The antitoxin may prove helpful; I know not if these creatures have a venom.
This path should work well enough. I have not studied insect nests particularly, but I would imagine most paths lead to that of import, which with their being insects is either food or mates. Making our way back to the surface will be more of an issue."

She thinks for a moment, before saying, "If what lies below us is similar to a normal ant's nest, I do not believe direct extermination should be our focus. I have a limited number of arrows. So how do we go about removing the nest?"
"We could smoke 'em out!," Steam excitedly adds. Parveth gives her an unamused glare. "Y'know, like a fox." Parveth continues her glare for several seconds longer, during which Steam continues to beam. Eventually, Parveth just rolls her eyes and turns to Adelinde and Ketha. "Any other suggestions?"
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 700
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:07 am

"I agree that trying to simply invade and fight our way through would be foolish. If they're like normal ants they gather food to feed their queen, who is the only one to lay eggs. If we kill her, the colony should stop renewing itself." She thinks for a moment before continuing. "I'd recommend poisoning something they'd take to their queen as food and leaving it somewhere they'd quickly notice and deliver it from. Our best chance would be close to the actual nest, which brings up a concern. This tunnel is... rather unguarded to be an entrance to their colony itself I think?"

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 348
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:15 pm

Ketha summons her familiar, a winged snake named Mibis, in her hands and messages her (telepathically) with "I need you to scout this tunnel for me Mibis. Giant ants may be waiting inside, and I trust you to spot them and slip away if needed. I am sorry that this has come out of the blue, and that I haven't summoned you in quite some time. I will explain when I have a moment. But now is the time to move."
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 821
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:03 am

Parveth
The wood elf nods slightly as the tiefling explains her plan, eventually saying, "Interesting. It certainly is a more appealing option, though at present we lack the rather necessary poison. Steam, were you able to see what Char was doing in the room?"
Steam shakes her head slightly. "Mm-Mmm. She opened the door into me and I sort of collided with her. And then she locked the door behind her before I could follow."
Parveth cocks an eyebrow and says with no small amount of disbelief, "You were stopped by a locked door." Steam shrugs. "I didn't want to invade her space."
"You..." Parveth sighs and puts a hand over her face. "...sure. I don't see a reason why she would be making poison anyway. I might be able to put something together, depending on what herbs around. I have not explored this region, however, so I cannot promise anything."
Steam looks over to Ketha, and, seeing the winged snake leaving, skips somewhat after it, stopping near the dragonborn. "Aww! So cute! Did you see the thing?"
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 700
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:20 am

About five minutes after Mibis left, two of Boar's men come over. One is the dragonborn who lead you over here, the other is a half-orc. The dragonborn says, "You lot have been standing here doing nothing much for a while now. There a problem?" The tone implies he's not going to be very happy to hear it if there is a problem.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1488
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:14 am

Parveth & Steam
"Well, we were sent here to solve a problem, so I should certainly hope there is one around."
Steam grins at this and semi-stifles a chuckle.
Post-Preemptive Dodge:
Acrobatics for both of them because Rams said so. Well, technically he said either this or the other skill, but Acro is better for them.
Steam: (14) +3 = 17
Parveth: (7) +5 = 12
Parveth2: (4) +5 = 9
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 700
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:28 am

The half-orc looks to the dragonborn and says, "Big ant went into hole right?" and points at the tunnel inside the building. The dragonborn nods. Before Parveth even knows what's happening she's been grabbed and flung through the air by the half-orc... all the way into the tunnel and she then rolls as it slopes downward and doesn't manage to stop until she's about thirty feet in. Fortunately she has darkvision and can see at all.

The dragonborn attempts to follow suit and throw Steam, but Steam sees it coming and while she doesn't evade being grabbed and thrown, she does manage to prevent herself from falling into the tunnel, though she is inside the building. It shook a little when she hit the ground.

The dragonborn looks a little annoyed she didn't fall down the tunnel and says, "Get to work. If you come back out while we're still here and you haven't solved the problem.... we're going to have a problem." He looks over to Adelinde and Ketha and pointedly points in the direction of the tunnel.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1488
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 43 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23 ... 43  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum