Makara IC

Page 41 of 44 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:08 am

"We didn't directly come from the surface to be fair. We were tasked with exploring tunnels underneath the ruins of Kelfas by The Boar and his group. Specifically to look further into something we found earlier during a similar task but couldn't explore in detail at the time. Inside we found a machine from Kelfas that was still in fairly good condition, and a tunnel with a moving platform that lead to where we were found. We managed to get the machine working and came down here to see what the tunnel led to." Adelinde answers with a small shrug.

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 350
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Zarethria and the scholarly female drow share a look that certainly means... something, but you're unsure what. Then the female scholar asks, "Could you tell us more about how this device works in detail and how you control the part of the machine that is down here?"
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:27 pm

"While I was able to figure out how to use it, I'm afraid I don't fully understand HOW exactly it works. I know the device controls earth elementals and that it prevents them from moving up higher into where Kelfas lay. As for the platform, there was a part of the device that separated from it intended for use in commanding the earth elemental bound to it to carry us up or down."

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 350
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 pm

"I see. Do you think the part used to carry you down or the other earth elementals could make a larger tunnel between here and somewhere on the surface?" Zarethria asks.

((You're pretty sure that it could in fact do that and that it wouldn't be too hard for you to figure it out.))
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Steam continues quietly attempting to entice Ketha with the food, likely to little, possibly middling success. She is barely paying attention to the discourse currently happening.

Parveth pays polite attention to Adelinde's disclosure, content to let her take the reins. She is slightly worried about the drow gaining renewed access to the surface, but she only betrays her discomfort a little bit.
((Deception: 9 = (1 7) +2 ))
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 716
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Adelinde folds one arm across her chest to support the other at the elbow and taps her chin in thought, her tail flicking idly behind her every few moments. "Hmmm, possibly? I can't say for sure... Without checking I can't be certain but off the top of my head the biggest concern would be where this tunnel you want would be." She concludes with a small shrug.

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 350
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 pm

"I see. Well I would have to confer with the council about that. I assume a larger cavern would work best?" Zarethria asks.

((It actually would only matter at all if you consider purposes of not collapsing tunnels and such. The earth elementals can travel through and move pretty much any amount of earth and rock and such.))

Regardless of what the answer is her next question is, "You mentioned earlier that you could see Malnibonae. As far as I understand, the surface races do not see in the darkness well enough for that. How were you able to do so?"
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:58 am

Parveth sits up a slight more as she answers, having slumped into a more comfortable position as Adelinde answered.
"A potion has enhanced our sight. This feels an anticlimactic answer, but such is the truth.
A second potion awaits us on the return to cleanse us of the effects of the first, so we may return to sunlight without being blinded."


Steam sort of pauses her compulsive nibbling to timidly add, "Um, full disclosure, I didn't drink the potion so I'm very dependent on your candles at the moment. Thank you for them and the food, by the by, this is delicious."
She returns to nibbling.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 716
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:45 pm

"You're most welcome. I'm glad you find it enjoyable." Zarethria replies to Steam with a smile.

The older scholar asks, "Do you have more of either of these potions? Studying them would be of some interest. We would be willing to pay you for them."
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:39 pm

"Well sure you can!" Steam forgets her self-imposed trial for a moment as she happily digs in her bag to pull out her pair of potions. She scoots them towards the scribes, or hands them to a helper if the scribes are very out of arm's reach, and says, "No charge! We've been enough of an imposition already!" She smiles pleasantly.

Parveth narrows her eyes a bit at Steam. The wood elf is not particularly mercantile-minded, but Steam just giving away her potential ability to see down here at all is not a good turn of events for actually no gain.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 716
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:32 pm

"Steam no, I appreciate your enthusiasm but we should hear what they have to offer first. It may be something we dearly need." Adelinde reaches over and lowers Steam's arm, patting it in a friendly way before turning her attention towards the scribes, settling back into her seat and smoothing out her robes as her tail languidly swings to her opposite side and settles against her.. "Apologies, she means well but that isn't a decision for her to make on her own. If I may, what would you be willing to offer for them?"

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 350
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:24 pm

They raise an eyebrow at Steam's offer. The older scholar replies, "Of course dear."

The scholars whisper back and forth and bit before the elder one says, "Gold would probably be of the most use to you. There are merchants you could buy whatever goods you actually would find useful yourself rather than us spending time figuring such things out here and now. How does two hundred gold per potion sound?"

Spoiler:

When Adelinde withdraws Steam's offer, she can actually tell Zarethria and the older scholar are a bit relieved/have more solid footing on how to do these discussions. They clearly understand trade (either financial or political) and are wary of what Steam might expect in exchange for "free" things.
The younger one seems to feel like "*snaps fingers* dang!" and only seems to grasp they missed out on getting free stuff.

The elder scholar's offer is a lowball. The potions are worth about three times (maybe more) what she's offering. She's prepared you to haggle but also isn't ruling out that she can take advantage of it if you surface people aren't as cunning as the drow or are too afraid of upsetting them to haggle.
That said, you wouldn't want to ask for too close to it's actual value. You'd probably offend them if you went higher than half their value since that would be giving them a worse deal than you'd get out of a regular merchant. Haggling but keeping the offer under half would probably garner the most respect and political currency as they'd know you're keen but also that you were willing to give them a discount and first grab (better if you're only selling the potions to them) at the potions.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Dr Blight on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:14 am

Adelinde smiles winningly as she speaks animatedly, drawing on her natural showmanship with little flourishes of her hand and flicks of her tail meant to draw attention to herself. Subtly moving her hands so when she gestures to the potions they twinkle with the ethereal blue light of the chandeliers as shadow of her hands passes over them. "Come now my lady, they're worth more than that! These potions are made with techniques from the legendary age of Kelfas itself! I can hardly imagine the secrets that could be pried from just examining the glass-work of these bottles, never mind the potions! Techniques and secrets lost to the ages could be hiding inside this little package just waiting to be rediscovered! Surely you can bear to part with a little more for that? 315." It was a little more than she was expecting to get, but she certainly wouldn't object to it if they agreed and it gave her somewhere to go if they didn't.
stuff:
17+7=24 persuasion to haggle

_________________
Games I'm In:
Equestrian Radio Show as Ruby Blossom
HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria as Eclair
Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
avatar
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Posts : 350
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:13 pm

The older scholar smiles at Adelinde and says the number out loud as if she's mulling it over. She looks over to her younger male companion who clearly wants to say something. Then she somewhat pointedly doesn't ask him his opinion and looks back to Adelinde and replies, "315 it is. You've made a good show of it deary. So how many are you willing to part with? I would be willing to purchase a dozen sets of them."
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:17 pm

The group leans together to discuss what they'd like to do, Ketha continuing to frown at the going-ons (?).
After a moment, the group resettles into their seats and Parveth speaks up. "We would be willing to part with 5 sets. I believe that totals to..."

((ROLLS FOR MATH: A 2!))

There's an audible pause. It's vaguely unclear whether she's struggling with the math, or attempting to lead the older scholar into stating the amount.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 716
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 pm

"That would be 3150 dear. If you could take them out, my assistant will fetch the coin." the older scholar replies and looks to the younger one who nods and leaves the room, presumably to fetch the money.

"So now that that's been handled, I was wondering how do those on the surface view the Drow, the Underdark in general, and Lolth?" Zarethria asks.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Paper Shadow on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 pm

Ketha watches the proceedings in silence. Thoughts of home on the surface to answer the Drow's questions spawned realisations and feelings of discomfort. She was out of her depth here. She was trained as an adventurer, turned blacksmith, turned adventurer, not a diplomat nor negotiator. She felt more comfortable bathing with royalty (providing royalty was an ant-woman in a cave) than here. The fine funishings and decorations were a long way from what she has lived with or have ever experienced, and the expected tableside manner is a lot different from that of a family or tavern. When you prefer actions to words, what is there to say here? She takes her glass of wine and drinks it whole, and proceeds to pour another...
avatar
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

Posts : 822
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Zarethria notices Ketha's discomfort and that she seems to be avoiding the question and gives her an expectant look that says "Yes, I want to hear from you too".
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Parveth retrieves the requisite potions from her bags as does Steam, though the water genasi is somewhat preoccupied keeping an eye on Ketha. She takes a moment to gently put a hand on Ketha's arm, and attempts to give the dragonborn a reassuring grin.

The wood elf speaks up again, believing herself to have the most knowledge of the topic amongst their group. She notices Ketha shotgun a wine glass, but doesn't speak on it. "Generally?" She pauses for a beat as she considers polite wording. "Very unfavorably. That being said, our interaction thus far has been surprisingly pleasant and enjoyable, and is causing me to question how much of our lore about the Underdark is true."

Knowledge!:
Parveth:
Religion: 8 = (6) +2

Steam:
History: 20 = (18) +2
Religion: 2 = (2) +0

why know stuff about deities or whatever
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 716
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:24 am

Since they don't seem to have been satisfied with "very unfavorably," Parveth proceeds to, as objectively as she can, describe how the Underdark is largely thought of with fear and disgust, how it is supposedly filled with monsters that prey on those who think there might be anything of value hidden in the dark. She continues onto the drow and what she was taught of them, how they had shared the surface with the other elves before turning to follow the, and she makes air quotes here, "Demon Queen of Spiders" Lolth down a path of evil and corruption, whereupon they were banished into the Underdark for all time.

She pauses for a brief moment at the end of each sentence to provide a chance if the drow are looking to get a word in edgewise about all of this, and is intently watching them for how they're taking all of this.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 716
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:29 am

Zarethria is just listening and watching intently and nodding along as if she expected to hear exactly this, but in an impassive way.

The scholars are also nodding along, but also sharing looks, and rolling their eyes. The older one looks somewhat amused, while the younger one looks both a bit amused and offended, though nothing indicates his offense is at the people in this room specifically.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:41 am

There's a long beat where the two groups sort of stare at each other expectantly, before Steam sort of pipes up, "Do you...do you want each of us to tell you what we know about each of those things? Because...I know basically what Parveth just told you. Except I didn't know about the whole...banishment and stuff. Or the spiders."

Provided Ketha allows it, Steam continues to keep her potentially reassuring hand on the dragonborn's arm.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 716
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:46 am

All of them, even Zarethria, raise eyebrows at Steam's apparent lack of knowledge about the spiders.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  quietkal on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:55 am

Steam, a little embarrassed and flustered, continues. "I mean, I know what spiders are, but like, I ran across Lolth in a text once maybe and got the gist that she's just a real downer and I skipped on." She briefly runs a nervous hand through her hair, rippling it into its nonsensical wave motion.
avatar
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Posts : 716
Join date : 2013-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Ramsus on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:02 am

The eyebrows go down, but now the expressions are pretty blank and dumbfounded.
avatar
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2013-09-05
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Makara IC

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 41 of 44 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum