Black Star Sanctuary
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Roving Band

5 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Roving Band - Page 2 Empty Re: The Roving Band

Post  SubjectZ Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:05 am

Rinnian looks at the innkeeper blankly for a moment, then laughs and says, "Oh, my mistake, I'll have some more ale. Anyways, yeah, it's pretty dangerous. Never wanting for bandits or ne'er do wells. Lonely, too, I suppose." He seems to sag for a moment, then looks up with a grin, and says, "But never boring! No, never boring. Always something new to see, someone new to know for a moment, like ships passing in the night."
SubjectZ
SubjectZ
Proud Latte
Proud Latte

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:39 pm

The innkeeper nods and goes to fetch another ale.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:49 am

Back at the thief bashing...

-Turning back in time to see the last of the men breaking free of the waterclone and attempting to make his escape, Hydrax rushed after him - twirling his staff as he prepared for another strike.

Spoiler:
XandZero2
XandZero2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:17 am

The would be thief manages to round the corner, going left where the other one had gone right, before Zen could catch up to him. However as Zen rounds the corner, the man is still in sight, though he will have a difficult time catching up.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:53 am

Spoiler:

Zen gives chase down a thankfully empty street and just before the thief gets to the next intersection, Zen summons his water clone right on him and he trips and falls and then is stuck grappling with it as Zen catches up with easy and clubs him in the head with his quarterstaff, knocking him out.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:09 am

That was a bit more of a challenge... Hydrax thought as he looked down at the unconscious man. He then nodded to his clone, giving it a silent order to go back to the alley and try to contain the last of the conscious thieves if possible.

Watching as it raced off, Hydrax grabbed the runner and started dragging him after his clone...
XandZero2
XandZero2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:13 am

By the time Zen had the man dragged back into the alley with the two others, the still conscious man had just gotten enough air in his lungs to begin struggling with the water clone, though he clearly wasn't going to make any progress immediately in his disadvantageous position.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:43 am

Hydrax dragged the man he’d been carrying up to the conscious one, letting go and watching as the first fell at the others feet.

“Well,” he said, looking at the conscious would-be-thief - while commanding his clone to maintain his hold, “I must admit, one of your caliber does not much impress. Your skills seem to end at fleeing – and considering that fleeing was your first line of defense against attack, one can assume that your knives must merely be for show. You are like the cat without its claws – quick but harmless in a fight.” Hydrax leaned on his staff, waiting for all that to sink in before continuing.

“So tell me now, how could one plan to steal horses if one was not even prepared to defend ones’ person from a lone assailant? This is quite the quandary – do you not agree?”

Hydrax nodded slightly, "Ah yes - but perhaps my companions and I could be of assistance? Tell me of your plans my yellow-bellied friend. If they are more impressive than your martial skills, I may yet deem it fit to help your cause..."
XandZero2
XandZero2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:47 am

"What!? Why you- why should I!-.... what? Fuck man. If you wanted in, why did you have to start beating on us you friggin psycho? You could have just said you wanted in. You probably heard our whole conversation you freaking creepo. How bout you let me the fuck up first and I make sure you didn't kill my pals before we talk?"
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:59 am

"If one must understand my actions," Hydrax replied calmly, "I wished to shed my frustrations as the snake sheds it's skin. You, most unfortunately, were the first outlet I came across. Know that I would have settled for a sexual companion instead, had one been readily available."

The waterkin sent a mental command for his clone to let up on the conscious thief and give him some room.

"Check your associates if you like. I can assure you, I did not use lethal force. That said, one would be wise not to run - for I will chase you down if you do, and one can always change their mind as far as lethality is concerned."
XandZero2
XandZero2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:12 am

The man was clearly even more creeped out after what Zen had said but, checked his companions all the same. After satisfying himself that they were alive and would probably be fine, he said, "Well, the plan weren't complicated. We were just going to see who still had horses, cut em loose in the night, and ride off with em, and meet up somewhere before continuing through the night. By the time morning came we'd be long gone and nobody'd have horses to chase us down with before we made our way to.... well wherever. More hands would help a deal though as it's none too sneaky to be going all over town with two or more horses each. As for the knife, it's just in case. I never used it. Never planned to have to. And you can mock us an' call us cowards all you want. You're obviously a better fighter than us and I'm not ashamed to run instead of die a fool."
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Hydrax cocked his head slightly to the side.

"A blacksmith's apprentice, a troll, and the start of new life - one might hear talk of such things woven together in fairy tales spun of spiders' silk, but when one hears of such things when eavesdropping on clandestine conversation, one must start to wonder... Tell me, is one of your number a blacksmith's apprentice, are you all native to this town, and if so, why would one steal from one's own hearth and home? Is your lot in life really all that bad? What motives compel you to take this path - the path of the thief?"

-The waterkin's voice remains neutral throughout, with little to no hint of his own opinions on the matter thus far...
XandZero2
XandZero2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:09 pm

"He was callin' the blacksmith a troll and- why's it even matter to you why we're doin' this? Do you want in or not?"
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Hydrax shrugged, "Until I better understand the nature of your group, I could not say. You see, it is wise that before one enters into a contract, one should first know who one is dealing with. I wish to better understand who you are and why it is you plan to do what you are doing. If one cannot learn that much, one could save time and simply drag you over to the proper authorities. I am sure they would not care to ask for your reasoning..."

The waterkin paused, "Or, if you wish, I could simply pass judgement on you myself - in which case, since you are not forthcoming, I can only assume that your reasons are purely evil ones and that you deserve nothing short of excruciating death."
XandZero2
XandZero2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:52 pm

The man glares at Zen in a manner that suggests he's contemplating whether to try and stab him or not and then shrugs and says, "Fine you psycho. We're not murdering scum like you if that's what you wanted to know. We're just some guys who have always had the short end of the stick and want to get out of town and start a new life somewhere else. Having horses will give us some money to start up our new lives and its just an added laugh that it will actually be a pain for this town. Is that enough for you? Or are you going to get yourself locked up by killin' us or when you drag us to the watch and you have a half dozen of us say you attacked us on our way home? Cuz it'd be our word against just yours and you're not even from here, so don't be thinking they'd take your word on it. An' that's all you got you nutter."
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:17 am

Hydrax listened to all the man had to say with some amount of amusement. It always surprised him - what a snake would say when cornered and gambling with his life. Hydrax was no fool. This was obviously a bluff to scare Hydrax into sparring him. The man’s words were as empty as a hollowed out tree. If he’d wanted, Hydrax could kill all three of these would-be thieves and dispose of the bodies without anyone being the wiser – and even if he did go to the authorities with these men, he had a hunch that if they were thinking of stealing horses now, chances were decent that they had a list of smaller crimes they’d committed to get this point. One is not an eagle one day and an eel the next. A questionable character makes a questionable accuser, and Hydrax could always fall back on his actions during the previous days to support an argument for the kindness of his own character against such spineless toads.

-These were the thoughts that went through Hydrax’s mind, but when the thief was finally done with his tirade, the waterkin simply said, “One would assume your wit is sharper than your dull blade, but then – it seems that would be a false assumption…”

Pausing a moment, Hydrax pretended to weigh his options. Then he added, “Nevertheless, I may indeed be interested in aiding your work. I need time to consult my companions first however, and I need to know what would be in it for us. Also, when do you intend to do this deed, and when and where can we meet again to finish these negotiations - if we feel so inclined to do so?”
XandZero2
XandZero2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:31 am

The man gritted his teeth at being insulted again and replied, "Horses is what would be in it for you. Sometime before the week is out. We'd only just decided to do it so nots like we can be picky about what works for you and your mysterious friends. How many of em are there anyway? And I s'pose we could meet back here each night around this time. Or you could tell me where you're staying. Not like we're gonna come cut yer throat in the dead of night like you might be the type to."
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Hydrax nodded slowly, "Four. For now, we are only four - though our numbers be no real indication of our strength. As to a meeting place, here will suffice. As a wise man once said, one does not shit where one lays his head. Business will be done at a place of business, not at one's home - however temporary it may be..."

Taking his weight off his staff, Hydrax straightened up, preparing to leave, "So then, I will confer with my allies and be back tomorrow night. Be here when I return or consider the deal is off..."

Turning his back on the man - but still keeping his wits about him, just in case the would-be thief were tempted to try something foolish - Hydrax added offhand, "Oh - and, by the way, you wouldn't perchance happen to know where one could find a nice brothel or... a lady of the night, perhaps... at this late an hour?" The waterkin glanced back over his shoulder, "Preferably one that was... easy on the eyes?"
XandZero2
XandZero2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:28 pm

"I was asking your numbers because unless any of you can be in two places at once, that matters for how we're going to go about getting the horses. I don't know what a brothel is but I might could help you out with the other thing. If you make it worth my time." He then adds, "And I think my friends here would say my time for you is worth a bit."
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:03 pm

"I disagree," Hydrax replied quietly, "Your friends would say nothing, especially if I'd decided to kill you..." He waited to let that sink in, before adding, "-But I am no stranger to the ways of this world. Sin begets sin, greed begets greed. Name your price worm, and make it reasonable. My patience grows thin..."
XandZero2
XandZero2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:07 pm

The man rolls his eyes and says, "Hmmmm. I'd say two silvers for each of our troubles and another four for the information, so 12 silvers it'll be."
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Hydrax turned back and gave the man a hard stare. 12 silver for simple information. The waterkin wasn't in the bartering mood, didn't have any silver, and didn't feel like begging for change.

"Nevermind," he said, "Forget I ever asked..."

Last edited by XandZero2 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
XandZero2
XandZero2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:37 pm

The man shrugged. "Suit yourself. Try not to attack any other people you come across tonight. Might draw us unwanted attention."

Last edited by Ramsus on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:16 am

"I see..." the fey says as she takes that all in. "Well you can rest easy, I have no desire to consummate anything with anyone at the moment." She says with a chuckle. "I'd say our companions don't seem the type to do such a thing, but I haven't known them long enough to really know myself. If you'd rather continue to keep this between ourselves, I can do that though." She responds with a shrug.

She stays silent for a short while longer before speaking up again. "And the horse and wagon?"
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:21 am

Ni replies with an impish grin, "You're right, we probably shouldn't discuss that with the others either."
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next