Moonlit Adventures (Ongoing.)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moonlit Adventures (Ongoing.)

Post  Drago765 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:26 am

Equestria: A (mostly) peaceful land ruled by two princesses, one controlling the sun, the other controlling the moon. Everyone knows what goes on by day, but only a select few know what lurks in the night. Most who do fear it, creating an organization called "Phoenix" dedicated to killing these beings. They'd be more fitting of the title of "cult", worshiping Celestia as a goddess, though not acting under her command. They're zealous nutters who would rather destroy anything that goes against their belief than talk with it.

You are a team of what these people would call "Monsters", beings of the night who are largely feared by the general populace. You're being actively hunted by Phoenix and shunned by communities. It's not all bad however, you do have greater abilities than your average person, and there are others like you. Perhaps you could band together and take down these zealouts, if a bigger threat doesn't get in the way...

Welcome to my first ever campaign!  As said in the intro, this will be a campaign focusing on monsters and other such "beings of the night." As such, because I can't create my own races you will be allowed to take FULL advantage of Genetic Engineering. You are also welcome to use unofficial supplements, but you will have to inform me of which ones are unofficial. The limit on PCs is 6, however, since I'm a new DM, I will accept a sort of "Co-DM" to help me out and overall improve the experience. You don't have to use Genetic Engineering or unofficial supplements, but it's encouraged. We will mostly be talking on Skype, but if you don't have it I can always compromise and use this thread for OOC. Also, don't be surprised if I steal your race if I like it enough. We're also going to be using the Talent Specialization expansion, so feel free to make use of that.
Signed up:
Ramsus - Amber
Dr Blight - Star Flash
quietkal - Masquerade
Paper Shadow - Kyo

Last edited by Drago765 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:41 pm; edited 5 times in total
Drago765
Prinny dood!
Prinny dood!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Moonlit Adventures (Ongoing.)

Post  quietkal on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:11 pm

Presenting Masquerade, the never-was
Stuff about temporal nonsense:
Let’s talk temporal abominations. I’d imagine that the Royal Archives probably has something along the following regarding them:

Foreword: Chrono-magic is incredibly dangerous. Do NOT attempt.

Temporal Distortions (for lack of a better word), are present in every timeline. They are the natural results of poorly moderated chrono-magic. They come in the following variants:
“Neverwere” is a catch-all term for things that, through some sort of direct temporal tampering, no longer exist. They existed in some other timeline, but do not exist in the current one. All appear as stone replicas of themselves, and most deteriorate rapidly after the new timeline is established. Those that don’t crumble tend to stand still, as statues, and only barely registering on the magical continuum. It’s believed that they only have a minor awareness of this world, if they possess any at all.

“Meanwhiles” are their temporal brethren. They are creatures who weren’t removed entirely from the timeline, but were caused such a drastic change that their after-image took on a life of its own. They are moderately aware of this world and able to move about and interact with it as they please, but seem to cease to exist when observed.
There is disagreement on if these creatures share any of the characteristics of the Weeping Pegasi of lore, who also performed actions only while unobserved.

In addition, there is a figure referenced only as the “King,” a being of an unknown race and alignment. If for some reason you do meddle with chrono-magic (despite our warnings,) remain especially distant of objects marked by his symbol, a pair of clockwise and counter-clockwise spirals which end into the other's center.
Immediately alert the princesses if you find one of these symbols.
The King's Note:
The King’s Note
Excerpts from Starswirl the Bearded’s log, near the end of his excursion into the study of chrono-magic.

“After successfully teleporting back 672 hours, I endeavored to repeat my tests on whether changing the past was possible, with earlier tests providing mixed results.
My hypothesis was that if I do not directly interact with my past self, but instead snatch the apple from the table while my past self was away, then I would be able to effect a change, if a minor one.
However, as I waited for my opportunity something very unusual occurred. I heard my past self speaking aloud from a slip of paper, an act which I do not recall doing myself.
He said, ‘Starswirl the Bearded, Please read the entirety of this notice aloud, so you may truly hear and understand. The King, while greatly enamored of your skill, would prefer if you ceased your voyages unto his territory. If you continue your intrusions, your next warning will not be as polite.’
Naturally, I was disturbed by this. The only kings I have knowledge of were Discord and Sombra during their respective reigns, but this follows none of either’s signifiers, and as far as I am aware neither used or even referenced any form of chrono-magic.

When the spell ended and I was returned to my study, I found a sealed note had been set before me, the symbol in the wax what appeared to be a pair of counter-directional spirals intersecting. After opening, it bore the same words I had heard my past self speak. So far, tests have provided only inconclusive results as to the origin of the note, and even as to what type of magic it was touched by, if any.”
Rumors and Assumptions (editable by all)

Last edited by quietkal on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:04 am; edited 6 times in total
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Star Ponies, Black Stars, and what is this I don’t even.
A headcanon by Dr. Blight
Book 1
Chapter 1
B-52
HIKE!

A Tale of two Sisters:
Many, many centuries ago, long before the reign of Discord, the Migration of the pony tribes, or the founding of Equestria there were born two sisters. The older named Celestia, and the younger Luna. They lived in seclusion in a castle deep in a dark, dangerous wood. There were no kings or rules of any real sort there, just magic and the whims of nature and the fey. The two lives with their parents, two powerful beings who were as one with Time and Space.

They would live in this lonely castle until one day they were strong enough to join their parents in the realm of eternity. And so the sisters lived, with only themselves and the occasional fey to keep them company as the awaited the day they would join their beloved parents. Ages passed this way.

One day however, while exploring the woods around their home, the two went further out than they ever had before. And it was such they stumbled across the very edge of what had always been their world, they stumbled upon the end of the forest. Looking out they saw creatures that looked similarly to themselves in the distance. They observed the creatures as they toiled to carve out a living. And they watched as a large group of unicorns would struggle every day and night to raise the sun and moon.

The two, knowing themselves to be greatly magical and wishing to help these clearly struggling creatures, focused their magic and poured it into assisting them in raising the sun and the moon. While the ponies struggled as if under some great burden the sisters found this task as simple as breathing, and forgetting their own strength for a moment in their excitement, raised and lowered the two celestial bodies on their own. Their power severed the two heavenly objects from the magic of the unicorns and tied them irrevocably to their own and in so doing, crystalizing their destinies forever more.
Time passed and the sisters continued to raise the sun and moon and observe the ponies from afar, hidden in their forests. As they watched, they began to long. Their hearts yearned for the feelings of love and companionship the ponies so shared. They wished desperately to join in, but were fearful of revealing themselves. And so they began to shyly use their powers to assist the ponies from afar. Courting them with small gifts and miracles and hoping that one day they might notice them as their benefactors and ask them to join in on their own. That they might save them from the lonliness they never knew they’d felt before.

And it was such that the Star Ponies were born. One night the younger sister was struck with an inspiration as she raised the moon. The stars were beautiful things, shining gems in the night that the ponies seemed enamored by. Perhaps she, with her naturally artistic sensibilities, could make their grand display better? Perhaps they would love her for it? But how? Even for both their magical might the stars were too far away and too massive for them to arrange, never mind just herself. It was then the idea came to her, what if she made new “stars” smaller, closer ones who would shine just as brightly as the real ones? And so she worked her new plan over in her mind, refining it. These ‘stars’ must be able to move on their own so as to make it easier for her to guide them. They also needed to know when to stay still or adjust their positions so they do not drift away. They must be alive! And if they must be alive, why not have them be cast in the image of the ponies? Such familiar smiling faces would surely assuage their fears! And so she gathered as much of her magic as she could and set to work on creating her living stars, her star ponies.

And so the Great Stars were born, hundreds of them. Born of her magic they knew her desires, and wishing above all else to make their beloved creator happy, they spread out across the skies. They assembled themselves into shapes and designs at her command and danced in the near void for her for eternity. But the spell was not perfect, and had an effect that even she did not predict. Fearful of failing, she used as much magic as she could, indeed more magic than she needed. And as this spare magic rolled off the completed Great Stars it coalesced into new, smaller and less perfect copies of them. The child-like Shooting Star ponies were born. Though fearful at first of this development, she found the ponies marveled at these shooting stars, and so she was pleased too. And all was well for a time…

Black Star:
One night however, all was not well. As Luna arranged her stars into that nights artistic masterpiece, something that had never happened before occurred. One of the Great Stars was missing from its place in the night sky. She reached out with her magic, trying to find its voice among the countless Star Song to no avail. And then, a song was suddenly ended as another Star vanished from the sky. And then another, and another. And just as terror began to build in her heart that something was destroying her creations, an entire swath of the sky went black, and dozens of songs ceased. Before she knew it her wings bore her aloft, through cloud, through sky, through space as the songs turned to ones of panic in her ears. She watched as the stars scattered from where so many had vanished, while others she recognized as Great Stars flew towards it and were swiftly extinguished as well.

She reached the empty space and what she saw horrified her. Strewn all about the sky were the remnants of so many of her creations. Unrecognizable shards and extinguished lights, and there, in the center, was one. What would be later known as the first Black Star drifted before her as if finished devouring the core of one star with a mighty snap of its jaws. She recognized it immediately as one of the very Great Stars she had made herself. She couldn’t fathom what had warped it so, its shining white coat was now a deep oily black with a red sheen that gave off no lights. Its eyes were bright with a frightening red light, its mouth a row of jagged triangular teeth. And its mane and tail were masses of shifting utter black, indistinguishable as strands so much as a single dark flame. To her magical senses, it was well and truly nothing, a mass of darkness were all warmth, light, and magic went in and nothing came out. In her sorrow, fear, and rage she used all her power to seal the beast’s eyes and mouth shut and banish it to the depths of space. It was then she noticed small vortexes begin to burst from the remains of her stars. And from the shifting darkness new figures were born, resembling the creature so much even as they turned confused eyes towards her and spoke to her in songs and voices she recognized. Fearful that they might turn to the same devastation the creature had wreaked, she banished them all too, far from the suns warmth to the very edge of the system.

Since that day, the Black Stars have hunted the Star Ponies, feeding on those who stray too far from Luna’s magical sight. Some have even become bold enough to disregard the Princess of the Nights banishment, flying as close as the moon itself or even landing upon the surface. Secure in their being too powerful for the Princess to truly deal with, or simply wishing to spite her regardless.

Star Pony Culture:
Star ponies are divided into three clear types. The mature and ancient Great Stars who were created by Luna long before the founding of Equestria. The child-like Shooting Stars, who were born by accident. And the monstrous Black Stars, born by unknown means who hunt the others.

Great Stars and Shooting Stars revere their Princess of the Night to the utmost. Their entire, considerably long, lives are dedicated to her and her wishes in every respect. They have danced in the sky for millennia out of desire to see her happy. The eternal Great Stars are like parents and teachers to the small Shooting Stars. Passing to them their wisdom and knowledge as the little Shooting Stars continue on their cycle of death and rebirth. The Star Ponies in turn love the Great Stars and do their best to help them, preferably without interrupting their Dance. Playing games, cheering them up, keeping them company, or bringing them interesting things they find.

All Great Stars are parts of the constellations and will not leave their positions in the Great Star’s Dance for anything but the most dire of circumstances. Only once in history have they ever done so, when four Great Stars abandoned their dance to help Nightmare Moon escape her imprisonment of 1000 years and disappeared. The Shooting Stars by comparison freely wander the nearer reaches of the solar system. Exploring and playing and bringing back what they see and learn to share with others.

Star ponies subsist on a continual exchange of energy. They draw power from the sun, each others cores, and even the cosmic winds as they bounce energy back and forth across each other. They communicate primarily with a form of telepathy up close, sending their emotions, desires, or meaning directly without words to each other. This causes them to frequently have a poor grasp of spoken language. They can also communicate with a Star Song, a sound outside of a pony’s range of hearing that can easily travel cosmic distances.

Much like a parent warning a child of the boogie man, Great Stars use the existence of Black Stars like cautionary tales. Warning the little Shooting Stars to not wander too far away or the Black Stars will eat them. All Star Ponies, but particularly the Shooting Stars, are utterly terrified of the Black Stars. For indeed, there is little they could do but run if they ever run into one.

The Black Stars themselves are also capable of Star Song, and their own songs filled with Hunger, Anger, or Regret frequently drift through the solar system from beyond the icy planet Pluto deep in Dark Space.
Most Black Stars never come closer than the icy Pluto out of remnants of their original love of Luna. Deeply saddened that they’ve been cast away but not wanting to upset her more.

In the past few hundred years though, at least one Black Star has completely disregarded this. Dark Nebula, who has taken up residence on Luna’s own moon as a direct insult to her, freely stalks the Solar System and occasionally makes the leap from the Moon to the planets surface out of a fascination with modern times. Additionally, at least one other has entered the system following her, emboldened by Nebula own actions. The possibility that more will begin to press in is a very real risk.

Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 am

Kyo the Living Painting

Living Painting Culture (with thanks to Quietkal for the last words...)
Paper Shadow
Dragon
Dragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Seeing the culture building ideas.... Makes me start building ideas for something to wolf-ish to build for this campaign, even if you aren't really open to me joining or not. Not a werewolf, those are to easy to build.
Xel Unknown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quietkal on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:55 pm

So just checking, but that thing you said about finding someone else to take over if you weren't going to continue GM'ing this?
quietkal
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top