The Rise of the Windigo King

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  SubjectZ on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:53 pm

"Well, it's a fantastic drawing. I really appreciate you trying to help out and all. So, my group and I are gonna get going, but it was good to see you. Hope to maybe see you around sometime?"
SubjectZ
Proud Latte
Proud Latte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:59 am

She nods with a smile. “S-sure!”

The trip to the docks is uneventful, the smell of fish and sea water thick in the air as you move among the fleet at anchor. The sound of the waves against the hulls like a rythmic heartbeat as ponies, griffons, and dragons of various ages move about around you. You hear mismatched footsteps coming towards you, a mix of hoof falls and a faint scratching along with a cacophony of clanks and whirrs.

“So there ye be lassie, I see ye’ve brought yer friends wit ye.”

An aging grey griffon says as he works his way through the busy peir towards you. At his side is an orange earth pony stallion with a brown mane of about medium size. He seems somewhat younger than the griffon but not overly much so, his front right hoof replaced with a red mechanical prosthetic. Across his back like a saddle is a strange device consisting of a cylindrical drum attached to to a rectangular box with a latch. The ponies eyes are covered with a pair of welding goggles, making his expressions somewhat difficult to read. He silently looks the group over from beside the old griffon sailor.

“Just a few more wee things t’ get and we’ll be ready to set sail.”

“If ya’ll pardon my sayin’ so, you don’t exactly look prepared for a long voyage at sea.”

The stallion speaks up with a calm southern drawl. The griffon blinks, turning his head slightly to look you over with his good eye before laughing.

“Aye, ye should come too. The ministry’ll set ye straight wit what ye need, so long as ye be working as part of the fleet..”

He gestures with a wing at the earth pony.

“Ah suppose introductions be in order, this be me first mate and mechanic.”

“Scrap Wrangler, a pleasure I’m sure.”

The earth pony says with a small nod.

Once introductions are out of the way, the griffon and earth pony lead you to a large warehouse, inside of which are a number of crates full of different kinds of supplies from food to comercial goods, some specialized while others just seem to be tossed together. with only a general theme. There are a number of booths spread out along the vast floor space where ponies in rather modest garb common to the Church of the Two Sisters seem to be administrating over the supplies.

Mertropolis as Cocoon
Affairs of Darkness 2: Twilight Tales as The Game Master
Bronyland personality test:
Dr Blight
Totally Not The Admin in Disquise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:12 am

Aoi looks around for a dragon, or more preferably a dragonnel if she can find one, who isn't too busy and goes to ask them questions about what dragon society is like around here and about the place they come from.
Ramsus
Overlord. Overlord? Overlord!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Healing Torch walks up to the captain, and says, "So, captain, how long do you think this trip is gonna be? The mechanic said a 'long voyage', and we're not exactly the biggest on time here."
SubjectZ
Proud Latte
Proud Latte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:19 am

When he first met up with the captain and his first mate - the thing that had attracted Death Ray's attention had been the pair's mechanical prosthetics (and that thing on Scrap Wrangler's back - whatever the buck it was); and as GREGG and Dr. Death Ray started scavenging for useful parts in the warehouse (the Doctor trying his darnedest to find parts that weren't being blessed by the Church of the Two Sisters - the nerve of that Celestia, to have a church created in her name...) Death Ray found himself glancing back at intervals - trying to determine the make, model, and functionality of the seafarers' hardware.

Spoiler:
Death Ray's going to make a Mechanics check to identify the quality of the Captain and Scrap's prosthetics. He's trying to gage if the prosthetics are scratch-built, name brand, etc. Also, how intricate and effective the craftsmanship happens to be - and if both sets of prosthetics seem to have been made by the same manufacturer. Basically, he's trying to learn everything he can from just looking at them...

Appraise!

That's it. He's trying to appraise them.

Roll on the Captain: Mechanics 18 + d20 = 18 + (13) = 31
Roll on the Scrap Wrangler: Mechanics 18 + d20 = 18 + (15) = 33

Also, DR's going to try and figure out what that thing on Scrap's back is all about - it's function, quality, etc.

Roll on Scrap's backpack thingie: Mechanics 18 + d20 = 18 + (12) = 30
XandZero2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:17 am

Huh… Death Ray thought to himself, Interesting…

The prosthetics looked to be custom-jobs. They weren’t exactly sculpted with the most cutting-edge materials - but then, they still seemed functional enough. FYI – But Scrap Wrangler’s hardware looked pretty darn sturdy too, especially his pack-doohickie; that thing looked like it could tank rounds from the Dark Horse’s chainguns… And was that an… an RPM gauge on Wrangler’s prosthetic? WTB? What was that there for?

The Doctor was just about to go up and ask Wrangler about his RPM gauge when he hazarded another glance at the griffon Captain. What attracted Death Ray’s attention this time though wasn’t the old sailor’s prosthetics, but his glass eye. That eye sure was… well… unique... That's for sure. It occurred to Death Ray that he’d never seen anything quite like it before… So yellow, opaque, and… vaguely shiny… it kind of gave the Captain’s eye a similar appearance to one of the eye lenses on Batmare’s mask – only if they were yellow in... instead of white...

And then it struck Death Ray like a ton of bricks –

OMG. He’s Batmare!

The Captain just had to be her - the similarities were uncanny! Both the Captain and Batmare had the same opaque, vaguely shiny eyes (if they’d both been yellow), they both had wings (or well… Batmare really only had a cape… buuuuut – maybe his real wings were hidden underneath it?), they both had gadgets, and they both were maresss-sss-sss-ss-s-s-s... – wait a sec…

And then the Doctor realized...

But of course! He only DRESSES like a mare!

Death Ray paused, Or… or maybe it’s the other way around? Maybe he’s a mare that dresses like an old, crusty griffon?

Sir?

Ingenious!

Sir?

Such a foalproof disguise! I would’ve never suspected it! But then – why would Batmare be here?

Dr. Death Ray sir?

There’s no reason for her to be here, is there? Not unless… not unless - maybe she’s on to me?

GREGG? We’ll have to accelerate our plans! I’ll need a pitfall, four deathtraps, and a mechanical shark – OOH! And some of those comic-esque sound-effect screen-thingies to flash on PV whenever we hit somepony!

But… sir?

I’ll go get the theme song!

And with that – Death Ray rushed out the warehouse.

Spoiler:

-Then Death Ray rushed back in. What the buck was I thinking?!

I have no idea sir.

I don’t have a theme song…

GREGG dropped from the sky – catching himself just before he hit the ground. Come again sir?

Note to self,
Death Ray paused, get theme song.
XandZero2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:58 pm

The salty old griffon gives a shrug of his wings. "I cannae say fer sure lad. The sea is never the same twice. But what we be seeking be in the same region, and what lives there tend t' stay there more oft'n than not. If it takes a day or a couple'a weeks, we be likely to run into our quarries whether we be looking for 'em or not. I've packed enough general supplies for two weeks searching though along with the trip there 'n back, we'll have t' come back to port if we don't find it by then."

The captain blinks once looking towards Dr. D quietly for a moment. "...It be rude t' stare boyo. If ye be curious about me eye, I'd be happy to tell the tale tonight when we ship off. Tis a good way to pass the time on the trip."

Looking around Aoi spots a number of dragons milling about, most still fairly small. Two of the large ones are wading through the water pulling a large boat lazily by the anchors as if it were just a rowboat.

On the ground a number of smaller dragons, though nearly all are comparable in size and bulk to Lobber, are milling around the docks. Some working on ships, others sitting on crates as they have lunch. The contents of their meals meaning most everyone but the griffons or other dragons are giving them some room.

You also notice some a few dragonnel flying or walking around. Of them, the one that looks the least busy seems to just be moving around a small rescue boat checking the lines and doing other seemingly routine inspections.

He's male, mostly green with some paler green on his belly, and with a with a pale gold for his mane, tall but not overly bulky, making him look somewhat slight compared to the thick earth ponies moving about. He also appears somewhat younger than the average around the docks, though clearly older than Aoi. Perhaps around the same age as the students from before, though it's difficult to tell. Wearing a blue bandana wrapped around his forehead keeping his mane out of his eyes, along with a rather rough looking pair of gloves over his claws, and a brown worn vest worn over a loose white shirt.

Flying over to the to the other dragonnel, he seems to notice you from your wing beats as you draw near. Turning the side of his head towards you before following through and blinking. He shuffles his wings somewhat awkwardly as he leaves the ropes alone for a moment and turns to face you as you land. "Erm... hello. Can I help you lass?" he asks, a clear mix of confusion and curiosity in his voice.

Mertropolis as Cocoon
Dr Blight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:57 am

Aoi smiles, a bit happy to be speaking to one of her own kind for once, and says, "Yes, you can. That is if you are not too busy. I have not met many others of our kind and I find myself curious to know a bit more about all of you. I would like to know about what dragon and dragonnel society is like here and about the place you come from, if it is not too much trouble."
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Torch nods respectfully. "Thanks. captain." What did he mean by that? Are the cultists gonna be hunting us? Well, I suppose we'll see.
SubjectZ
Proud Latte
Proud Latte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:37 am

The young sailor scratches at the side of his snout for a moment looking up in thought as he considers what to say. "Not really sure how to describe it to someone who's not from around here...umm... Around these parts I guess it mostly depends on what you do? My day isn't all that much different from any other sailor's kid you know? I suppose I sometimes get bad looks more often than most? Not everypony's alright with ponies and...not-ponies mixing up you know? And these probably don't help eh?" He says as she gives a big grin, indicating towards his fangs with a claw. "Lemme think now. As for the dragons? You know, the full ones? You mostly just see young ones and mums around these parts. Sometimes the da's too, but way I heard it told they don't always stick around. Out on the island where they hatch the eggs..." He gestures off towards the northeast. "...that's where most of the dragons around here stay. A lot of them come down here cause they get stir crazy just minding a clutch all the time yeah? Some of them get jobs doin' things that might be too hard fer others to earn a bit of coin or just pass a few hours. They don't take kindly to folks going up there what aren't dragonkin though. Most times they turn ya around on the water, sometimes they just keep you instead though. Some folks around here say they eat you if that happens, or that somedragon took a liking to you and they only let you go years later with a little half-lizard of yer own. I think that's just those gits that don't like us being around ponies though stirring things up. Specially the ones that say 'half-lizard', trust me lass, somepony who says that isn't any friend of yours."

He smiles a little in thought. "Now where I'm from was closer to the Griffonlandt originally. A nice little fishing town at the base of a mountain! Plenty of room to fly around and things to see! The griffon types don't care so much about who or what yer da is so long as yer strong and useful, so that was nice. And there was more variety in food since those lot eat meat and fish too. But it can be a rough life for a pony yeah?" He stops for a moment thinking again... "That help?"

Mertropolis as Cocoon
Dr Blight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:56 pm

"That was very informative, thank you." Aoi says with a smile. Then she tells the sailor, "I am not surprised in the least about the looks and bigotry. Though where I come from it is a bit different. Of course my case is entirely outside of the normal expectation anyhow. I come from Neighpon and our dragons are a bit different, both physically and their place in society. They are more respected, but at the same time Neighpon culture is more... judgmental of anything not a long established part of the culture. Ryu, excuse me, dragons are also more rare than dragons are here, so of course dragonnel are less common as well. I myself am a special case though. It can sometimes be amusing to see the initial reactions of those from my land, as my mother held a rather high standing and my father was a very rare and foreign type of pony. Unless they are expecting me ahead of time, most are unsure of how to manage their conflicting biases."
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:31 am

The young dragonnel sailor smiles back. "My pleasure. It's not uncommon for ponies like us to be curious about what the other side a' the blood is like." He chuckles a little quietly. "I was kinda wondering why you were all shiny..."

He scratches at his cheek with a claw as he thinks. "Different huh? I'll have to add this neighpon of yours to my list of places to see once I get my own ship."

Mertropolis as Cocoon
Dr Blight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:57 am

Aoi smiles and nods in reply and says, "Well, if you wish for a map to our land you can check with the monks, they should be around the cloudship. It was nice speaking with you.......? Oh! I am sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I am Kongouseki Aoihime."
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:42 pm

The young sailor gives a cheerful smile in response. "Thanks! I'll check into it! Oh. I'm uh, Verdant Scales. A pleasure to meet you lass!"

Mertropolis as Cocoon
Dr Blight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Aoi gives another smile and a nod and then goes to rejoin the others.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Ragnarok continues to patiently wait for the others to finish...
tygerburningbright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:29 am

Torch heads over to where Ragnarok is waiting, and sits down beside her.
SubjectZ
Proud Latte
Proud Latte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:00 pm

The party departs on the 'Blasting Zone' late in the afternoon after getting their supplies on board and giving you a quick tour of the ship. The captain going up to the wheel house while the first mate heads down below decks. Moving slowly through the marina to avoid colliding with any of the other ships at port. Once you clear a line of buoys though the captain calls out to his first mate below decks and the ship lurches forward as its engines roar, swiftly cutting through the waves as it heads out to sea.

"Alright ye lot, go ahead and relax fer now. This be the easy part."

The old griffon calls from the wheel house above as he lightly turns the wheel and the ship gently shifts away from the island on command.

It takes a few hours of swift but easy sailing before the sun sets below the horizon. Port summer now little more than an indistinct mass on the horizon. Other smaller islands can be seen in the distance in all directions as the flat seas allow you to see for miles around in the fading light. The sound of waves and the smell of the sea mingle strangely with the mechanical sounding clanking down below and the smell of gunpowder on the decks.

As the stars begin to appear, dotting the sky in Luna's masterpiece, a faint orange mist begins to form on the deck as it slowly billows out. The strange cloud grows till it's slightly larger than a griffon before shrinking in some areas and stretching in others. A pair of glowing white eyes blink open as the shape resolves into that of Verana. The ghostly alicorn floats in place for a moment blinking as she takes in her surroundings. The captain doesn't appear to react to the specter's presence on his ship.

Shortly after the goddess shade reforms a sound carries over on the wind, just barely audible above the waves. A chorus of bell-like voices singing far in the distance. Verana's ghostly ear flicks towards the sound leaving behind a small wisp of smoke as she turns to examine it. "...Sea ponies" Both she and the old griffon say at nearly the same time, the captain as if for your benefit, and Verana with a sense of nostalgia in her voice.

Mertropolis as Cocoon
Dr Blight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:10 pm

Healing Torch makes momentary eye contact with Verana, then says, "Do you hear those often out here, Captain?"
SubjectZ
Proud Latte
Proud Latte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Drago765 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:29 pm

Clandestine smiles a bit. "Ah, Sea ponies. They're no danger or problem, if that's what you're worried about." She says to the others. "In fact, they're pretty helpful, if you have something that interests them."
Drago765
Prinny dood!
Prinny dood!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:33 pm

"Well, what interests them?"
SubjectZ
Proud Latte
Proud Latte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Drago765 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:34 pm

"That tends to depend on the individual, don't really know of any universal thing they're interested in." She admits, shrugging.
Drago765
Prinny dood!
Prinny dood!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:38 pm

The captain nods. "Aye lad, they tend to gather near dangerous waters and try t' warn off ships. The Maw be one such place, and I be there often."

Mertropolis as Cocoon
Dr Blight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:39 pm

"Have you ever... y'know, talked to them?"
SubjectZ